Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Mildot rifle scopes for TAC or other fast crossbow apps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 AM

Mildot rifle scopes for TAC or other fast crossbow apps.

This may come as a stupid question, but...... has anyone played around with mil-dot or ballistic reitcle rifle scopes on their long range crossbows? I'm wondering if a multi-reticle rifle scope caliberated for say 5.56 or .308, for instance, at distances of 100, 200, 300, etc. yards would be anywhere close to working with a crossbow like a TAC-15i for say 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 or 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 yards. I know the range calculations using a mil-dot won't translate of course. But I'm wondering more about how close the drop compensation would be between the two at their relative distances. Just playing with ideas here as I have a pile of rifle scopes in my collection. I'll enjoy playing but hate to waste time on something someone else may have already proved a fruitless pursuit.

Thanks, Steve C.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Mildot rifle scopes for TAC or other fast crossbow apps.

I don't know the answer but there is another option. HHA Optimizer Speed Dial Crossbow Sighting System.

This device mounts on top of the rail. Then you mount the scope on top of this item. There is a yardage dial on the side that you customize for your bow. When shooting you simply turn the dial to your yardage.

This is a great option for you who owns a bunch of scopes. Also for those who want to maintain power zooming ability.

I will be offering these soon in the PSE TAC 15 portion of the LRH Gear Shop.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I don't know the answer but there is another option. HHA Optimizer Speed Dial Crossbow Sighting System.

This device mounts on top of the rail. Then you mount the scope on top of this item. There is a yardage dial on the side that you customize for your bow. When shooting you simply turn the dial to your yardage.

This is a great option for you who owns a bunch of scopes. Also for those who want to maintain power zooming ability.

I will be offering these soon in the PSE TAC 15 portion of the LRH Gear Shop.
Thanks for the reply Len. I have seen this devise and have to admit it sure looks like a great product. I am going to play around with several scopes with ballistic reticles and see if anything pans out as weather and time permits. I'll be sure to post my findings if I find anything worth while.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM

I had the same dilemma, since you can't find any recommendations on the PSE website. I ended up trying the TRUGLO TRU-BRITE 5X32 ILLUMINATED CROSSBOW SCOPE. Although it is advertised at settings for 400+fps, the highest setting on the scope is 375. It still maintains a group of less than an inch (.75) at the 30, 40, and 50 yard range, after setting the initial 20 yard reticle. I am waiting for my wife to recover from the initial shock of what I paid for the TAC15i to purchase the ultimate scope for it. That would be the BURRIS ELIMINATOR 4-12X42 Scope Laser Rangefinder. It ranges and moves the POI (Point of Impact) for you. It can be programmmed, via computer, for any projectile speed, with the free softwarew provided on their website. It is pricey, at around $800 on Ebay; thus, the need for the wife's recovery time LOL
Old 12-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan1960 View Post
I had the same dilemma, since you can't find any recommendations on the PSE website. I ended up trying the TRUGLO TRU-BRITE 5X32 ILLUMINATED CROSSBOW SCOPE. Although it is advertised at settings for 400+fps, the highest setting on the scope is 375. It still maintains a group of less than an inch (.75) at the 30, 40, and 50 yard range, after setting the initial 20 yard reticle. I am waiting for my wife to recover from the initial shock of what I paid for the TAC15i to purchase the ultimate scope for it. That would be the BURRIS ELIMINATOR 4-12X42 Scope Laser Rangefinder. It ranges and moves the POI (Point of Impact) for you. It can be programmmed, via computer, for any projectile speed, with the free softwarew provided on their website. It is pricey, at around $800 on Ebay; thus, the need for the wife's recovery time LOL
I love that scope! THAT IS the dream scope for a crossbow! I have used a few Burris scopes on rifles in the past and always found them to be nice quality, especially for the price.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
PUBLISHER

khan, that scope sounds great. Please check with them on the details of whether the low velocity arrow will work. I was surprised when a couple of my ballistics programs actually could not handle the TAC"s low velocity and low bc.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

I just got the Tac 15i for X-mas (Package deal here with the Accudot Mil-Dot scope)

I found that using the mil-dots are OK, but would be difficult in a hunting situation. I like a simple setup and if you change a power setting your mil-dots would be off. So if you are playing with the power while viewing a deer but do not set it back to the power you sighted at then the mil-dots will not be correct. The only consistant mark is the crosshairs during the whole power range.

With that I mean the mil-dots are only at one power setting. So if you sight in at 12 power then switch to 4 power your dots are way off.

I am thinking about switching to the HHA speed-dial or the Burris scope mentioned.

WildWillie