Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Beach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.henry755 View Post
The etched scales are also great for anytime you need to make minor tuning adjustments.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.henry755 View Post
Once all tuning is finished we can make a note of these final scale positions, so it's very simple to put these settings back if anything ever comes loose or shifts due to bumping or damage.
I go a little bit further, due to the work it takes to get any bow tuned.
For what it is worth (free-advice and all).

I get out a dial-micrometer and take several measurements (left & right and up & down) as to where the arrow is sitting in regards to non-movable parts on the bow. If necessary, I will sometimes use a straight edge (ruler/rod) to extend off the non-movable part. Making note of it's use with the written-down measurements.

Having those additional measurements helps when one changes the style/type of arrow rest. You can quickly get close to center-shot / tuned with a different type of arrow-rest since you can adjust the arrow to sit where it was with the previous arrow-rest.

From experience, this extra-measuring has paid-off when a arrow-rest broke during a deer-hunting trip and had to be removed and rebuilt. The removal was such that any markings on the rest itself where questionable at best.

Signed: Have dial-micrometer will go hunt'n...
Old 11-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Well stated points!

This is exactly why the most knowledgeable Xbow shooters just keep getting better. They keep eliminating as many of the variables as possible and always take things down to a precise science of measurements.

In any shooting sport, this is what separates the men from the boys.

Keep the great advice coming and a happy holidays to all!

Jon
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 PM

I'm installing the QAD drop away rest on my Tac15I and have hit a snag.

I'm ready to serve the Timing Cord but don't see how it will clear the cam or the string stopper rod. There is little clearance of the cable and the cam but even less clearance from the string stopper and the cable. When I add the cord and serving I beleive the serving will rub and wear quickly.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike
Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Bronze Member

HI Luv2turn,

You are not doing anything wrong. You are correct when you stated there is little clearance from the cam and the string stop rod. But , there is enough!

Look closely at the photgraphs and instructions in the section in red titled "Timing cord attachment was my next step and is different than the instructions included with the QAD rest". If you mark a point about 1/8" from the string stop rod with the string against the stops, you should have enough clearance to serve the Timing Cord to the cable and clear the rod and the cam.

With the SAFETY on, you may check this by drawing the string to the full draw position and looking at where your mark is in relation to the cam. The important thing to remember is that the Timing Cord should not move or slip after it is seved to the cable.

Serve the Timing Cord to the cable before trying to adjust the Timing Cord with the rest in the 90 degree up position. The fork will actually rotate past 90 degrees, but the extra movement is not needed.

If you have any problems PM me your phone number and I will call to help you.

Best Regards,

Russ
Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Hi Craig and Russ,
Russ is a mind reader when he's not doing QAD Rest Installs, so he's beaten me to the punch. If you both look at your e-mails you'll see that I just finished trying to set up this interface between you two.

Craig, Russ has your number and please follow everything he's asking you to do to the letter. I'll be here if there's any additional support need, but Russ wrote the book on this one, so you're in great hands.

Regards,

Xbow755
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I will get my dealer to serve in the cord this morning.

Mike

PS: I don't know how to "PM". Where do I find email addresses on this site?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM

My dealer was unavailable because he had the audacity to go to IL for the week to hunt.

I served the cord myself with help from "bowtuningtips.com" and everything is fine.

In the meantime, both John and Russell have contacted by phone or email to offer additional assistance.

Can't express how much I appreciate all the help.

Mike