Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Beach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Thanks Jon, I had a lot of help and input from several excellent sources!

rmbeach
Old 11-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lose the Biscuit and Improve Your TAC15/15I Shooting Performance - By Russell Bea

Hi Russ,
The sources supply little bits of helpful information, but this one is all you!

Regards,

Jon
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM

i have a drop away rest on my tac but need a better working version, presently i am using an old mechanical drop... no strings, its fantastic when it works but too unreliable it drops with the slightest bump.. that is the trouble, i wasnt too sure a string would work but now i see it will, tomorrow i am going for a rest, the bracket i can make with no problem, after i make the first and prove it out i could possibly make more for the ones that dont have the time or tools, within a few days i will have a bracket done, i will update with more when complete, hunting might get in the way as its mid season for me here and still chasing the monster on the property.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Hi sangerboats,
The drop away rests that are already being produced, such as the QAD Drop Away Rest Brackets have all been modified numerous times since their inception.

The key is getting the rest properly positioned in the bracket so that the rest is exactly centered to the crossbows center shot alignment, both vertically and horizontally.

Also, the better rests insure the arrow holder stays down and out of the way after the release of the shot. This eliminates timing concerns with the arrow holder bouncing back up into the arrow shaft before the arrow can clear the crossbow.

The only addition I would like to see added to the current QAD Bracket for the TAC15 / 15i are some etched scales where the hex bolts lock the bracket to the front of the crossbows stock and between the two halves of the bracket itself.

Regards,

Jon
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 AM

I would like to see bigger heads on the hex bolts that hold the rest to the front of the bow. I added washers to mine but they are not much larger than the bolt head.

Other than that, I really like how this rest worked for me.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Thegunt;571793]I would like to see bigger heads on the hex bolts that hold the rest to the front of the bow. I added washers to mine but they are not much larger than the bolt head.QUOTE]

Thegunt,
If you look at the low front view photos, you will see I used small lock washers and large flat washers to attach the bracket to the front of the riser. I have not had anything come loose after two hundred or so shots.

Good luck with the monster!

sangerboats,
Like jon.henry755 suggests, use a drop away rest that has no bounce or you will have problems.

jon.henry755,
The addition of etched scales would be great when remounting the bracket or the rest!

rmbeach
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM

yes jon i already know it has to be centered, i used an old mechanical drop away with no cords attached to strings, the problem i have is the rest falls away at the slightest bump and its as tight as it can be and still work, with the rest i have on the bow i am shooting groups 2"or less at 160 yrds, it gets out of the way fast enough and stays down, it just isnt reliable enough.

i am in the process of making the bracket for the QAD and since i have machined the bracket for the rest i have it wont be hard to make one for the new rest, i will keep the suggestions in mind but feel it is not necessary for any roughing around holes as i do my homework and when complete the bracket does not need to move so hole clearance is nil... the rest itself has the adjustments, its going to be a day or so but will have pics soon, if anyone is needing a bracket for the QAD please let me know and i will finish a couple to help some fellow shooters get that biscut off this fine crossbow, i have a rest on loan for mock up to do the machining, i am in the design stage right now and will get working on the bracket by friday..

keep me posted with your comments

anyone on here from michigan? fenton-holly-flint area?