Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Laser-rangefinding scope for Tac15i?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Laser-rangefinding scope for Tac15i?

Burris makes a scope for rifles (e.g. model 200112) that includes a laser-rangefinder and bullet-drop compensation programming that moves an aim-point to the proper hold-over based on the target range. Nice!

After a very frustrating game of playing range the deer, set the speed-dial, and range the deer, set the speed-dial, last night, I was thinking how nice would it be to have a scope that automatically indicated or selected the hold-over based on the range!

Sadly, the Burris scope only works for rifle cartridges. It will not work with a crossbow arrow... they are too slow (I called tech support and asked).

Is there anyone out there that DOES make such a scope that's compatible with crossbows?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Laser-rangefinding scope for Tac15i?

I was thinking the same thing about the Burris, so I emailed them about a crossbow version of their eliminator scope. It's been awhile and so far they haven't responded to my email. Other than the Burris, I know of no other scope with the features that the eliminator has.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

Well still no reply from Burris, so I emailed them again. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Hi Guys,
I think the problem Burris is having with responding or even thinking about your request is because they believe your request is only relative to the PSE line of crossbows. Somewhere within Burris as a company they have not sized the crossbow industry as a viable source of revenue.

They haven't accurately run the numbers to understand that unlike rifles, over 95 per cent of crossbows utilize a scope these days and the number of crossbows being purchased each year in the last two years has increased by more than 500% per year on a national basis.

Crossbows and their associated equipment are quickly reaching into the millions of dollars of sales revenue for major companies. As such, nobody is even close to having the corner market on sight systems or scopes for these weapons because to-date, nobody has produced a high quality product that meets the needs and demands of the crossbow.

We know what we want to see produced, but I'm also sure we all realize that in the end it's all about money, like the rest of the business world. Unless someone is able to convince Burris or any other major scope producer that there's enough revenue to more than offset the cost of R&D, coupled with the manufacturing and advertising costs, they're likely not to address the requests.

A simple set of demographics sent to the head of a sales and development group, outlining crossbow sales by state is usually enough to provide the basic spark if they're looking for new revenue sources.

Imagine; a point and shoot crossbow that calculates distances and aim points? How ridiculous, next you'll be dreaming about flying machines and boats that can travel under the oceans!!!

Regards,

Jon
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Bronze Member

I heard back from Burris customer support, and they said they don't make, nor do they have plans to make an Eliminator scope for crossbows. Disappointing, but I'm not surprised.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Hi Mike K/NJ,
The only thing we know for sure and can count on in this world is that things change, so today's response only address this persons understanding of the companies intentions that he's aware of for now.

Even if they never decide to go after an opportunity for this low hanging fruit that's OK. Somebody else will eventually eat their lunch.

It only takes one developer to understand how many millions of dollars of business are resting on one simple product. The more we shout and scream about the need, the more likely we'll draw the right attention to the problem.

There are some very bright, innovative people out there just looking for an opportunity to produce a product that will sell big. In my opinion and that of many other crossbow enthusiasts this is one such product because it's brand independent and desired by the crossbow community at large.

I'll see if I can light a fire across a couple of other major forums to see if I can draw some additional attention to the subject. In the mean time Twanger deserves some serious applause for this topic since the original concept was his I believe.

Regards,

Jon
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Excalibur makes a mount for your rangefinder that attaches to your scope. So you can mount the rangefinder on top (or side) of your scope.