Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

How many shoot their TAC-15's off-hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Re: How many shoot their TAC-15's off-hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTell View Post
I am really dying to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a TAC-15i. But, I enjoy shooting off-hand a fair amount of time. I will probably spend 75% of the time off a rest but it is important for me to be able to shoot comfortably offhand as well. I've been told the TAC is not a good crossbow for shooting off hand. I would like to hear from individuals with real, firsthand experience? Is the comfortable off hand? BTW... my current xbow rig weighs in at 10.7 lbs albeit an extremely well balanced weight.

Thanks and any and all opinions!
Like many others have responded, the TAC 15 is a front heavy bow. I have no problem shooting offhand at a target, because it is "point and shoot", which only takes seconds. In most hunting situations, it takes longer for the target to get into an ethical shot position. Since I hunt from a ground blind, I use a stick for stability. I just don't have the strength to hold a position for the length of time it takes sometimes to get the good shot; another reason I chose a crossbow over a regular bow, after pulling back on my son's bow. It's hell gettin old LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 PM

Hi....I frequently shoot my Tac 15i off hand, however I use an AR15 vertical hand grip when doing so. With the adjustable stock , just the right amount of pressure & control can be maintained using the hand grip and I can be almost as accurate free handed as with a mono, bi, or tripod. I varmint hunt exclusively with the TAC 15i and feel that the free hand style makes me faster on target and also lightens the carry load to & from my sets.

Last edited by sgiandubh2; 01-31-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
I varmint hunt exclusively with the TAC 15i
Tell us about your varmint hunting. Any pictures?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Hi...I do have a coyote hunt planned for this week....hoping to have some great pics & report.
My latest project is still in progress...the PSE TAC 15i. Although I have taken two coyotes with " straight out-of-the-box "set up, I have since added the HHA SPORTS "OPTIMIZER SPEED DIAL ". Installation is a breeze and minimal test shots are required to "zero". A small adjustment must be made by extending the crank to pass over the dial.
The lowest dial setting gives a point of impact 1.25" high @ 20 yards. This addition is valuable to me for these reasons: I don't have to count mil dots : I can adjust the magnification of the scope and still use the cross hair for point of aim.

The interest voiced by some in the forum concerns off hand shooting. Although the bow is somewhat intimidating to look at and hold, it is much more balanced and easy to shoot off hand once you adjust to the "shock" of the tactical look. It appears that WEIGHT is a primary concern to some. I have taken an unscientific, however I believe accurate account of the actual weight a shooter holds at MY balance point. I attached a WILSON COMBAT 90 degree forearm grip to the front rail. With my left arm holding this grip the downward weight measures 6.8 pounds. (with sight in bipod attached). For field use I remove the bipod and the weight drops to 5.6 pounds.The weight held by the trigger grip seems nominal with the majority of this weight being held by my shoulder.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM
PUBLISHER

Mac

I am going to try one of those vertical grips. And I am in the process of setting up an HHA unit.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Len
Check your e-mail for pics.
Mac
Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

In a word, yes I do shoot my TAC-15 off-hand. I have killed two whitetails under 40 yards doing so, and could have killed a number of others, I just did not want to harvest them.

Under 50 yards shooting off-hand with the TAC is very doable, provided you have done some shooting on the range prior that trying it on game. It is front heavy compared to other crossbows, but with a proper hold, you can do just fine with it.