Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Fletching Tac 15i arrows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Fletching Tac 15i arrows

I am new to archery however I am the proud owner of a Tac 15i cross bow. I bought a Bitzenburger Fletching Jig to repair many of my damage arrows. When I install the fletching should it be parallel with the shaft or a slight angle to the length of the shaft ? Paul
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Fletching Tac 15i arrows

Hi Paul,
The slight degree of angle you mentioned is better known as a Straight Offset in archer terms. When fletching the TAC15 arrows the manufacturer only uses a perfectly straight fletch. This means no offset on your Bitzenburger Jig at all.

In order to achieve the proper spacing between each vane you would need to be using a special nock receiver in the Fletching Jig. It's Bitzenburger nock receiver #3012 I believe. This nock receiver when installed will provide vane spacing' of 60 degrees x 120 degrees. The standard nock receiver is only capable of spacing the vanes at 90 degrees on each vane. This will not work on the TAC15 because your vanes will make contact with your upper Weaver Rail and you'll end up with a number of problems. The optional nock receiver can be ordered directly from Bitzenburger at about $18.

Make sure you are using a premium quality fast set cement on your vanes and before starting any vane placements make sure that you pre-wipe your arrow shaft and vane base with Acetone on a clean cloth. Do not bypass this step if you want your vanes to stay on the shafts on a long term basis.

Also, once you get a very thin amount of glue on your vane and get it positioned in the clamp and down on your arrow shaft, I'd recommend you apply a small amount of extra downward pressure with your hand on top of the clamp. This added pressure forcing the vane more tightly against the arrow shaft for about two minutes will dramatically increase the strength of the bond.

By using more downward pressure with a fresh good quality glue you can change the bond strength from 200 or 300 pounds of strength to 6,000 - 7,000 pounds of strength.

I haven't lost a single vane from one of my arrows in over 3,000 shots by using the above fletching method.

Regards,

Jon Henry
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the great advice Jon!
I've been generating a huge pile of Tac15 arrows (20) that have been through a deer and will soon need to start re-fletching them.
It's tempting to reuse some of them, only slightly wavy vanes, or only one or two wavy vanes.
I'm found that slightly wavy vanes are DEATH on accuracy out at 100 yards, but I can live with it inside 40 yards.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Hi Twanger,
Yup, I couldn't agree more with your insights. For hunting purposes doing just some minor repairs is all that's needed. Especially when one considers how short the average shot from a treestand actually is.

If you ever need to refletch the entire arrow (all vanes), I've found a method that's unbelievably easy. Consider this method:

1. Remove the nocks from each arrow shaft.
2. Get a very thin glass jar about 6" high and very narrow. Fill it with Acetone
just high enough that when an arrow is placed inside it, vanes down, it will
completely cover your arrows vanes.
3. Place one arrow in the jar and lean the top of the arrow against a wall or
cabinet or something that will prevent it from tipping over and let stand for
20 or 30 minutes.
4. At the end of the 30 minute soak time, you'll notice that your old vanes are
probably laying in the bottom of the jar, if not just lift them off and wipe
down your arrow shaft with a cloth to clean off any remaining residue. In a
worst case scenario you might need to dip the end of your cloth into the jar
to rub a little Acetone on any remaining glue, but not usually.
5. Allow the shafts 20 minutes to dry and re-install the nocks as before and
begin fletching your arrows.

This soaking process has simplified the task of having to scrap, peel and clean old vanes and residues from the arrow shaft, so it's as simple as if you were building new arrows from scratch.

It further eliminates the concern about getting the vane spacings exactly correct, which is always a concern when doing repair work.

Although I have and use Dorge's AG0600 Fletching Cement on all Firenock Shafts, I also use a glue by G5 called G-Lock BLU-GLU on all my other arrows. I've been using it for the past two years with outstanding results. BLU-GLU is easy to find and less expensive. Even when using my Aerojig, I apply extra downward pressure on the JIG Clamp during the gluing process, so my vanes are bonded with several thousand pounds of bonding force.

Straight Shooting and good luck!

Jon
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

You are a wealth of knowledge Jon!

I've been painstakingly scraping the glue from shafts for years.

I always worry about how much carbon I'm messing up, and if I damaged the arrow. Also, they never are as clean as a fresh bare shaft.

Great idea!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Hi Twanger,
I can't snd won't shoot a store bought factory arrow shaft because I'm way to demanding about matching spine and arrow weights, so like you I hate scraping off vanes or feathers and taking a chance on damaging the carbon.

They say necessity is the mother of invention. I disagree totally! I say its laziness; at least in my case it is.

I was tired of the old process and the tedious amount of work that went into it, but yet I was often forced for testing purposes to change vane sizes or profiles or the number of vanes on each shaft or sometimes the degree of offset, so I had to find an easier, cleaner way to do the job.

If you're not in a hurry let the shafts with nocks removed sit in the Acetone for 30 or 40 minutes. When you return, you'll find all of your vanes sitting in the bottom of the jar and all you'll have are bare shafts. Wipe them down well with a clean rag and let them stand for 15 minutes before beginning your new fletching job.

If you are into a more dressed up arrow, apply a nice arrow wrap of your choice and then do your fletching job over top of the arrow wraps.

Regards,

Jon
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Fletching Tac 15i arrows-aerobolt-ii-200-picture-6.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Very nice work!
I have taken to wrapping a piece of white reflective tape between the nock and fletching, and a red one in front of the fletching. A dab of thin superglue at the seam and a shot of accelerator to lock it down so it does not flap after launch.
It really helps you find your arrows after dark, particluarly if you've shot 2 or 3 deer and can't quite remember, precisely, where all the arrows flew.