Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum


Reply

Fletching damage

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Re: Fletching damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBowie View Post
How did you determine that string is dropping down upon release?
Something Hi-Tech like High Speed Video Camera or something Low-Tech like string making brushing marks?
just looking at it... if you nock an arrow, only on the string without the block under it, you will see that the string is straight from cam to cam. Now slide the block forward and you will see that the arrow nock and string rises up when the block goes under the string to hook up your loop and activate the anti-dryfire device. When you draw the bow the block goes even higher right before the notch then settles in the notch. The notch is on the same plane as the rest of the slide so your string is still sitting up on the block in the cocked position. When you pull the trigger the string comes off of the block and while moving forward it also returns to the same height it was before the block was slid under it which pushed it upward... so naturally it is dropping off the block during the shot. It's definitely not a flaw. It's how it is made. Its just the way it is designed to operate. The only way to change it would to be a redesign of the block to keep the string on the same plane all the time, but then you would lose much of the downward pressure on the anti-dryfire device. If the string did not have to lift up on the block to keep pressure on it then the block and release mechanism would end up being "sloppy" with up and down movement. This pressure is what keeps all of these things tight. It's not a big deal, in my mind, as long as the bow can be properly papertuned. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Re: Fletching damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyhunting View Post
just looking at it... if you nock an arrow, only on the string without the block under it, you will see that the string is straight from cam to cam. Now slide the block forward and you will see that the arrow nock and string rises up when the block goes under the string to hook up your loop and activate the anti-dryfire device. When you draw the bow the block goes even higher right before the notch then settles in the notch. The notch is on the same plane as the rest of the slide so your string is still sitting up on the block in the cocked position. When you pull the trigger the string comes off of the block and while moving forward it also returns to the same height it was before the block was slid under it which pushed it upward... so naturally it is dropping off the block during the shot. It's definitely not a flaw. It's how it is made. Its just the way it is designed to operate. The only way to change it would to be a redesign of the block to keep the string on the same plane all the time, but then you would lose much of the downward pressure on the anti-dryfire device. If the string did not have to lift up on the block to keep pressure on it then the block and release mechanism would end up being "sloppy" with up and down movement. This pressure is what keeps all of these things tight. It's not a big deal, in my mind, as long as the bow can be properly papertuned. It is what it is.
Also keep in mind, we are not talking about a great deal of droppage here, just enough to make a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Re: Fletching damage

OkieBowie , I noticed on another thread that you don't have an Elite. The aforementioned might not be true on the Tac 15. If you go to the LRH store and look at the Aerobolt II , you will see, in red letters that they dont recommend those arrows for the elite because the fletchings are hitting the cables. They say the Elites have less clearance than the Tac 15s. Evidently the Elites are designed a little bit different than the Tac 15s.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 108
Re: Fletching damage

You guys can call it what you want. Its a bad design if you can only shoot an arrow a couple of times before the fletching is being ripped off. At the price we all paid for these rigs, We should at least be able to shoot them without fear of damage or God forbid, injury.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Re: Fletching damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K/NJ View Post
You guys can call it what you want. Its a bad design if you can only shoot an arrow a couple of times before the fletching is being ripped off. At the price we all paid for these rigs, We should at least be able to shoot them without fear of damage or God forbid, injury.
You can say that again! Too much money for ANY issues!! I'm not getting any ill side effects like that though, my fletchings are barely clearing the cables... If I were you I would set up your papertuning rig and make sure you are shooting perfect holes, if you are then move the rest up EVER SO SLIGHTLY and shoot again, do this until it just barely starts to change your bullet hole then move it back to the last one where it was still shooting a bullet hole. Of course this is just for the sake of trying to get your fletchings to clear the cables......
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 108
Re: Fletching damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyhunting View Post
You can say that again! Too much money for ANY issues!! I'm not getting any ill side effects like that though, my fletchings are barely clearing the cables... If I were you I would set up your papertuning rig and make sure you are shooting perfect holes, if you are then move the rest up EVER SO SLIGHTLY and shoot again, do this until it just barely starts to change your bullet hole then move it back to the last one where it was still shooting a bullet hole. Of course this is just for the sake of trying to get your fletchings to clear the cables......
Well, I do have a good supply of bare shafts now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 63
Re: Fletching damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K/NJ View Post
Well, I do have a good supply of bare shafts now.
Lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC