Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

FireNock on TAC15 arrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM

FireNock on TAC15 arrow

Leave it to the new guy. I posted this earlier on the new guy intro forum by mistake and then found the TAC15 forum. I am in the process of reading everything on the site and am hoping that I haven't made an expensive mistake buying the TAC15 Elite.

I just purchased my new PSE TAC15 Elite and arrows. I decided to install Firenock illuminated nocks on some of them so that I wouldn't lose any of these pricey arrows while hunting. I contacted PSE for advice on using the Firenocks or other brands and was told by PSE tech support that PSE didn't recommend using them as they could possibly damage the crossbow and would void the warranty of the bow. WOW!!! I am just getting into this crossbow business and decided to go whole hog and buy the best money could buy. What experience does anyone out there have with the Firenock? Any help appreciated. I just ordered 6 of these Firenocks from LRH.

Thanks,

Alton
Savannah, GA
Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 PM

Re: FireNock on TAC15 arrow

Thats odd. The PSE rep that lives near me is building me six arrows right now with firenocks. I wish he would hurry up.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the rapid reply. Everything that I have read so far tells me that the extreme speed of the bow will splinter the arrow shaft if the nock is not fitted tightly on the shaft. One site suggested using a "Bulldog collar" to prevent damage to the shaft. I wish that more info was out there concerning this issue.

Alton
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM

My buddy just bought six fire nocks and installed them himself on PSE bolts. He has shot them many times with no issues. He gets off work kinda late and shoots his Tac right at/before dark.
Our PSE rep got our firenocks straight from Firenock for out PSE bolts. I want three bolts with firenocks for evening stand hunting. They should be done in the next day or so.
We have been waiting for a new quiver mount PSE has for our quivers. If these bolts don't get done I will be out of tags fairly quick
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM

Thanks, information like this helps. I don't understand why PSE doesn't officially support the the FireNock product.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Here is today's experience. I too am new the forum and just got my tac ordinance week before last. After four shots the whisker bisket was deforming the fletchings so I stopped and ordered the QAD rest form the fellow in MI and waited for it to come. In the mean time I ordered the bulldog collars and from this site the firenocks. Got them and installed as per the instructions even waiting for the glue to dry a day before inserting the batteries. The QAD came and it was very straight forward on installation and got that done. I set the timing cord as per the instructions and when I pluck it the rest falls away. I paper tuned and off I go to shoot in. Well Im still getting something hitting the fletchings and can't figure out what or why. Oh I might mention that I also bought six Phathead 100 grain broad heads just as recomended. The PSE arrows with the PSE kocks and field poiints shoot into the same holes. the Firenocked arrows won't shoot a 10" group at 20 yards. Two of the three Phathead had the smaller blades sheer of on the first shot on each. I'm using the Block target for crossbows. Other three Phatheads go back to Bass Pro tomorrow. So I went back to the PSE arrow and PSE knock with field points. Arrows hit same hole at 20 yards. I'm pretty frustrated as I type this as bow season is a week gone now and I took my HSA off my old Horton bow to put on this one. Tomorrow it's off to the Pro shop and see if I can find a broad head that will work and I guess I'll forget the Firenocks. I'm pretty sure I'll never find the arrow without them but one of them didn't work either. It slammed thru the knock bending the battery on first shot. I checked the depth setting and it was ok. Put another in the same arrow and it worked fine. I just can't seem to get a broad head that wants to cooperater. Very frustrated. Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceau View Post
Here is today's experience. I too am new the forum and just got my tac ordinance week before last. After four shots the whisker bisket was deforming the fletchings so I stopped and ordered the QAD rest form the fellow in MI and waited for it to come. In the mean time I ordered the bulldog collars and from this site the firenocks. Got them and installed as per the instructions even waiting for the glue to dry a day before inserting the batteries. The QAD came and it was very straight forward on installation and got that done. I set the timing cord as per the instructions and when I pluck it the rest falls away. I paper tuned and off I go to shoot in. Well Im still getting something hitting the fletchings and can't figure out what or why. Oh I might mention that I also bought six Phathead 100 grain broad heads just as recomended. The PSE arrows with the PSE kocks and field poiints shoot into the same holes. the Firenocked arrows won't shoot a 10" group at 20 yards. Two of the three Phathead had the smaller blades sheer of on the first shot on each. I'm using the Block target for crossbows. Other three Phatheads go back to Bass Pro tomorrow. So I went back to the PSE arrow and PSE knock with field points. Arrows hit same hole at 20 yards. I'm pretty frustrated as I type this as bow season is a week gone now and I took my HSA off my old Horton bow to put on this one. Tomorrow it's off to the Pro shop and see if I can find a broad head that will work and I guess I'll forget the Firenocks. I'm pretty sure I'll never find the arrow without them but one of them didn't work either. It slammed thru the knock bending the battery on first shot. I checked the depth setting and it was ok. Put another in the same arrow and it worked fine. I just can't seem to get a broad head that wants to cooperater. Very frustrated. Anybody got any suggestions?
You are going through "one of those times" , all you can do is keep yer head up , Keep testing until you find the right combo,you WILL find it, as for broadheads Go with Rage and you'll be back in the same hole!