Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Which broadhead for Tac15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which broadhead for Tac15?

I'm am using the standard whisker biscuit.
3-inch groups at 100 yards seemed adequate.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Hi Steg and Twanger,
The question about the Drop Away Rest is normally a yes, it's worth it, but in the case of Twanger, I'd have to say No, it's not worth it. This is because anybody that can maintain 3" groups at the distances that he's talking about can't improve on the performance.

The QAD Ultra Drop Away Rest provides a couple of major benefits in that I eliminates the occasional flier arrow that seems to be outside the grouping of ones other shots. This is caused by the restriction of a containment rest coupled with the uneven friction of the bristles of the Whisker Biscuit. It also eliminates the wear of the bristles causing ones site settings to shift over time, so all site settings remain consistent over many years of shooting with the QAD Drop Away.

Last, once properly tuned ones arrows will perform very consistently due to the fact that shaft timing and oscillation frequencies remain consistent to the shafts spine characteristics. This supports tighter grouping patterns at all distances.

These are all general performance enhancements gained after the conversion process has been completed correctly, but as I stated there's a significant amount of work involved, so if you are getting the type of groups that Twanger is achieving, then don't fix what is not broken.

Regards,

Jon Henry
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Just a quick update.

Saturday I killed deer #7 for the season with the Tac15 and Rocket Steelhead XL mechanicals.

I can't seem to help myself, and am constantly waiting for chip-shots.
It's not much of a long-range accuracy test when you're shooting almost everything inside 16 yards.

I'm gonna have to screw up the courage to take a 30-yard shot one of these days.

Still, it does not appear that the heads are opening prematurely and the blades are staying on for the most part. I'm getting the blade-breakage after they go through the deer and impact the ground. I.E. the exit holes all have all had 3-blade cuts, even on the bigger animals.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Hi Twanger,
Let's face it, long range accuracy is a nice thing, but it sucks compared to being able to take your game at under 20 yards. If you can get within under twenty yards all or most of the time, I wouldn't worry about the long range performance.

Now for those who like to hunt farm land or open pastures, it probably is a good idea to set up for longer shots, but if given a choice, I'd take the chip shot every time since it puts more meat on the table consistently.

Worst case scenario is you'll need to invest in a few packs of extra blades.

Regards,

Jon
Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

At the beginning of the season I bought ten 3-packs of replacement blades and I've got about a dozen broadheads. Bent one ferrule on a rock (after passing through the deer) but the other 6 that were used this year are still ok.

At this consumption rate the spare blade supply may not last the whole season.

The reaction of deer to the shot still baffles me. The little 50-lb doe I shot on Saturday made it about 80 yards. The 125lb buck I shot last Wednesday only made it only 50 yards. The shots were danged near identical. I figure the bigger deer would run further, but it was the other way around. There's just no telling. My only explanation is that a broadhead passing through a deer is a VERY complicated event from a cardiovascular perspective, and the results you get have wide error-bars.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Hi Twanger,
I completely agree with your thoughts.

Since broadheads perform a surgical slicing that should be so clean, that it even prevents the brain from sending signals to the body to release coagulation enzymes into the blood stream, it's hard to tell what any given animal is going to do or how they'll react to the hit.

With a bullet from a gun it's all about shock to the animals system that kills them.

I'm not sure if you've ever sharpened the blades of your broadheads after taking them out of the packages, but I spend some time sharpening and then leather stropping each blade prior to use on my heads. When I say they are sharp, they are at least as sharp as a brand new razor blade and yes you can easily shave with them.

I use two 3" x 8" DMT diamond stones, 1 Fine and 1 Extra Fine and then finish with a leather strop that is made by mounting a piece of raw leather to a block of wood that is equal size to the DMT Diamond Stones. Several strokes on each of these instruments will produce a surgical finish on anything that cuts.

I can send you a link to an excellent u-tube on the subject if your interested.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing pretty well with what you're using, but the sharper your blades the faster the bleed out without alarming the animal. I've seen an arrow pass straight through a deer and the deer just stand in place, shack for several seconds and then just pile up in place, never realizing that it was ever hit.

Jon
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Jon - I'm always interested in learning. This stuff just fascinates me.
I'd love to see the u-tube video.

I generally don't sharpen blades right out of the package, but always do if using a blade over again.