Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Any customized Arrow Rests for TAC 15 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Any customized Arrow Rests for TAC 15 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.henry755 View Post
The minute you decide to go to this type of a rest, you'll also need to shorten your Weaver Style Rail so a 3 fletch will slide back to the fully cocked position.
That is a no go for me. I am willing to modify arrow fletching such as going from four-fletch to a two-fletch or changing out the trigger/hammer assembly, but not modifying the bow's main body.

But I am all for those who want to modify theirs.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
He states that he's using 160 grain points on his arrows. We know from testing and experience that the more weight you add to the TAC15 Arrows, the flight anomalies develop and PSE's engineers have confirmed this. That's why they recommend broadheads that do not exceed 100 grains.
That makes sense to me. The more point weight, the more the arrows are initially forced to flex, which also means the more variations in the arrows flexing are going to have an effect on arrow flight.

I can in-vision variations beyond the direction of flex and the amount of flex, such as where along the arrow it flexes (front to back), and even the possibility of the amount of time it takes the arrow to stop flexing (number of oscillations).
Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
These rests have no real wear areas and are not subject to temperature changes.
Not to mention (but I am) that the arrows fletching are whacking their way threw the Biscuits' whiskers every time. Nothing like randomly re-tuning your arrows fletching on each and every shot.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Somebody has mastered an understanding of "Arrow Spine and Tip Weight"! If I didn't know better I'd think the student has become a master.

Your words sound like they were coming out of my mouth, because I couldn't have said it any better myself. If more people would take the time to read and understand this information we'd be answering a lot less questions or statements based on an absence of understanding the basics of arrow flight.

As tip weight increases, the shaft will always flex more, since the laws of physics don't ever lie.

As the shaft flexes more, there is considerably more disruption moving thru the Whisker Biscuit. This includes the fletching, but we have also seen in slow motion footage what is know as the "Archer's Paradox". This is where the arrow shaft flexes well outside and around a given arrow rest as it moves forward to launch. The shaft does recover each time as it moves down range and clears the bow, but imagine what this looks like in slow motion when it must pass through a Whisker Biscuit style arrow rest. Violent is an understatement. I'd more likely classify it as pure ugly!

This is why PSE's engineers and anybody else with an engineering background will tell archers to be careful about adding extra tip weight to their shafts.

Move to a different launch platform and you might have some additional lead way.

Okie, Thanks again for your insightful knowledge and being the voice of reason on this.

Jon