Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Whats the best map chip for garmin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Whats the best map chip for garmin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Gun View Post
got the maps for MT and ID they look great! only difference I can see from the paid versions is the landowners names.
cant beat the price, still looking for WY maps also
Young Gun,

Be very careful using those 'can't beat the price' maps you found. The public land data they use has a lot of errors and not very accurate boundary data. Hunting GPS Maps is the only company that is cross-referencing public land data with the dept of revenue tax data to reduce these land-swap and 'old data' errors. It takes a lot of work to make an accurate statewide land ownership map. I wouldn't bet my day in the field on a 'cheap' map. The $99 is worth it!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSmaps View Post
Young Gun,

Be very careful using those 'can't beat the price' maps you found. The public land data they use has a lot of errors and not very accurate boundary data. Hunting GPS Maps is the only company that is cross-referencing public land data with the dept of revenue tax data to reduce these land-swap and 'old data' errors. It takes a lot of work to make an accurate statewide land ownership map. I wouldn't bet my day in the field on a 'cheap' map. The $99 is worth it!
Seriously? So far mine have been spot on and I've been using PLSS data for years. Where does the dept of rev get their data? Do they do their own independent GIS work? Just curious, thought it pretty much came from the same source.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

Most counties do their own GIS work to keep tax records. When tax dollars are on the line the GIS data gets a lot more accurate and is kept up to date. When a state or federal agency does a federal land data set they tend to make errors because land changes hands so much and they only have PLSS data to work with, which is great until you have land parcels that don't follow a quarter-quarter section line. Many of those state and federal data sets were created 5 to 10 years ago.

Trust me. We've fixed many, many errors by taking the time to get the information from the right people. That's why game an fish agencies endorse our product. They don't like wasting their time writing trespassing tickets. They want to catch poachers. They have seen the other map's errors and they steer folks towards our product to reduce the chance for error / tickets.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

I know the Wyoming Wardens are using your product because I know one out there and he says it has made his job much easier settling trespass issues!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

GPS maps guy why haven't they done South Dakota private land owners name on maps yet? How long will it take before sd would have owners on maps, I will pay what ever to have it, it is such a huge advantage knowing who owns what
Old 04-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Bronze Member

South Dakota is ranked 50th in the US for parcel GIS data availability (in our opinion from our research). Unfortunately, the data just isn't available and may not be for a few more years.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If we can get a couple 100 people on board that are willing to pay $1000 to $2000 for the map then we could probably make something happen. Is that in the ball park of what you'd be willing to pay?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Yeah I take that back I didn't realize that much and that many people well its sucks but if I have to wait I suppose that's the way it is.