Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Whats the best map chip for garmin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the best map chip for garmin?

You betcha it is! I love mine and all the Wyoming Game Wardens now have a Garmin with the chip in them and they are using it to determine trespassing complaints according to the one I've known out there for about ten years.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Bronze Member

Hi everyone - first time poster here on LRH, I'm a newb

Anyhow in response the OP's question, I wouldn't pay for any Public Land GPS chip. You can just about find any type of Garmin map you desire for free at GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

Or my personal favorite maps, if you're looking for a Montana map is Montana Topo - Public Lands

Enjoy!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Addict View Post
Hi everyone - first time poster here on LRH, I'm a newb

Anyhow in response the OP's question, I wouldn't pay for any Public Land GPS chip. You can just about find any type of Garmin map you desire for free at GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

Or my personal favorite maps, if you're looking for a Montana map is Montana Topo - Public Lands

Enjoy!!
got the maps for MT and ID they look great! only difference I can see from the paid versions is the landowners names.
cant beat the price, still looking for WY maps also
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

I ordered the South Dakota gpshuntingmaps.com and found out when I went hunting they don't have land owner names and who owns it. So that makes that chip no good for me very disappointed in product. When I ordered it it never said that the private land did not have land owner names on it, so make sure you check before u order
Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Sorry it is huntinggpsmaps.com
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

They had two versions of the program last year and you obviously didn't read the difference and ordered the lesser priced one that doesn't include the names. They have dropped that one now and only offer the $100 version that has names on it.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Well I will have to call and talk to another person because the person I talked to a month ago said that they haven't put any land owner names on it for South Dakota and said there would have to be requests put in by a number of people interested before they would do it. Thanks for the info I will call monday