Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

UTM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

UTM?

How many of you use Universal Transverse Mercator instead of long/lat minutes and seconds? I just started using UTM with my new topo maps and find it easier once you get use to it. It seems like my gps has converted all my way points found using minutes and seconds when I changed the gps to UTM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Re: UTM?

I see to do a significant amount of mapping for work. Ah the gold old days now they've stuck me indoors to sign purchase orders and run budgets. UTM can certainly be easier to visualize distances between features as everything is in yards. The one issue is when you are near a new something's don't always line up. California being such a long state has portion a of three zones which made things interesting. Any GPS unit or GIS program worth its salt should convert the display units to the coordinate system you choose. 20 years ago that was the voodoo portion of map making. Being able to coordinate layers in multiple units and datums. Now it's all plug and play.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Absolutely!
Ive been teaching orienteering for about 20 years. UTM is way easier to teach and understand!

Ques. How far is a minute? No matter what answer you give it will be confusing as a minute at the equator is longer than a minute at the poles.

With UTM the earth is flattened to a 1000 meter grid. I can teach 1000 meter grid to kids and the importance of correct declination.

Not so much with Lat/Lon
Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Gold Member

I see you are from this big long state as well. Ever run in to the issue of overlapping zones? I used to get fits trying to make maps that covered the whole state. I haven't done anything like that in over ten years though so I am sure the software is much better at correcting today than it was then. Dealing with Datums and coordinate systems manually in the old ArcView was a nightmare!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

over lapping maps

yes, there are a number of programs you can print your maps as needed. When I bought maps at the store it seemed I always had to buy 4!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

One trap that I have noticed down under is when using UTM grid reference numbers from the vertical grid lines the number lacks the right amount of zeros at the start to make the correct 7 figure number that you enter into a GPS. Like at the base of the map it will have a number at each vertical line .
Say for example 700 000 metres East . Now that is a six figure number but GPS with UTM likes 7 figure numbers.
So if you enter 6 figures , 700000 my GPS will append an extra zero to the end to make it a 7 figure reference , so making it 7 000 000 , the wrong number .
To get the right number into the GPS I have to append a zero in front of the number , like 0700 000 meters East .
However going from the GPS reference to the map is easy .
I am not sure if the same situation exists on US topo maps or if it's just my Garmin GPS that does it .
I guess what size numbers are present on the map depends on where the map starts from .
I will post a picture to illustrate what I am trying to explain .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
UTM?-grid.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Bronze Member

Hmmm
Never noticed that! I will have to check out my Rino and see how it does.

Try this, look online at a 7.5 min topo map and pick a spot with the mouse. how does that compare to your garmin?