Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

public land softwear for GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: public land softwear for GPS

Just returned from a Wyoming mule deer and antelope hunt. We used a Garmin 450t with the latest BLM chip (purchased from this web site). We were constantly harassed by "outfitters" and were told the GPS was wrong and we could not hunt. It appears out of state hunters are not welcome in Wyoming unless you pay someone $2000 to $5000 per animal. We will never hunt in Wyoming again.

Terry L. Collins
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

terry thats to bad. we had a great time in casper. sorry about those d!%kheads. don't let them win!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Terry where were you hunting? I think I would have said let's call the Warden and find out.

Last edited by mo; 10-07-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Got my card in, and everything seems to work great! Is the cards information stored on the gps or does it have to be in gps to work?
Mo, the information is on the card so you have to have it in the GPS for it to work.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Just returned from a Wyoming mule deer and antelope hunt. We used a Garmin 450t with the latest BLM chip (purchased from this web site). We were constantly harassed by "outfitters" and were told the GPS was wrong and we could not hunt. It appears out of state hunters are not welcome in Wyoming unless you pay someone $2000 to $5000 per animal. We will never hunt in Wyoming again.

Terry L. Collins
Terry, here in Montana we have hunter harassment laws, we had an outfitter try that BS on us as we hunted State Trust lands and promptly turned him in to FW&P , enuff complaints and they lose their outfitters license also get a nice fine ! I would encourage everyone to report the abuse ! maybe they will think twice about what they are doing !
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

I spoke to Len a couple days ago regarding my earlier post and he asked me to give an update. One of the issues we were constantly dealing with was public access on public roads. The road in question was off exit 82. The road was clearly marked with signs "COUNTY ROAD". Two weeks after returning home, I finally received a return phone call from Wyoming BLM. They told me it is not a public road and the signs have now been removed. They are aware of the lack of properly mapped and marked public roads and are trying to update the current mapping to include and identify all public county roads. Stay tuned.

P.S. Great shooting Len!

Terry L. Collins
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Re: public land softwear for GPS - Android Phone App

I want to tell about an Android Phone app, so I will make a quick reply here and start a new topic, because I think it is important.

A man in Europe sells a $10 application that runs paper photographed maps
on your Android. It is called Viamici.