Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

public land softwear for GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: public land softwear for GPS

Can you run the Public Land Boundaries Overlay Map and the Hunt Area Boundaries Overlay Map at the same time?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
PUBLISHER

Yes, the transparent overlay maps are designed to be used in conjunction with one another. Think of them as layers of data on the map. As long as you use MapSource to load the data to your GPS, you can stack as many of these transparent maps one on top of the other.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 12-06-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Martin View Post
Len, watch the state lands on that gps chip, there are a lot of state lands trades that have not been updated and included on it. there are many sections just here around me that are not correct that were traded by the state over 2 years ago. it could show you on state ground and you could still get a free ride to the courthouse. the blm seems fairly accurate.
Bud,

We determined that those state parcels you were describing were actually owned by Montana State University, and had a classification of 'State Government'. I believe the 'state gov' classification means the property is tax exempt

It is possible that there are errors on the map, but I currently don't know of any. (the data is only as accurate as it is when we get it from the state, but when tax money is on the line the state seems to do a pretty good job of being accurate) Always obey property postings and visually verify boundaries.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

I dont know what parcels Bud is talking about, but I know there have been actual land swaps around here (Bozeman Area) in the last few years involving state land and NF land. Ted Turner owns a ranch called the Flying D, and he swapped some unaccessable to public sections for some public accessable sections of state land. I wonder who was representing the public in that deal??? Also some NF land in the Bracket Creek area N of Bozeman was swapped. To the best of my knowledge the new boundaries are not updated on the most current maps.

Mark
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
To the best of my knowledge the new boundaries are not updated on the most current maps.

Mark
Mark, which maps are you referring to - National Forest paper maps? BLM paper maps?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

The NF maps, unless they have come out with a revised map in the last year or two. I Haven't checked for new BLM maps but the old ones I have sure dont reflect it.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

I'm from Minnesota. Every time I go to MT , I come away frustrated, trying to figure out their maps . That is exactly how the MT land owners want it- absolutely confusing. They don't want outside hunters..... I'm confused what I just read and so are you. Even the Federals post state school land, MT sayes nothing. Map Roads are fenced over with posting signs or just no longer exist. Adjacent land owners all have the attitude " your not going down my public road to my public land. Whats the difference between a NY 'er and MT 'er ? the space between the people. I question if a GPS Fed land program would do anyone any good. Because they leave you hanging it could have changed last week.

Last edited by REDHEAD; 12-11-2009 at 01:53 AM.