Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

public land softwear for GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: public land softwear for GPS

Got both of them in the mail today! This gps looks pretty cool and the chip went right in and seems to be working great!

Any tips on using the chip information? It shows the people who own the land, is there also their contact info in there once you select it or just what the county has for them?

Also, in the directions it says to not transfer maps to the the gps from the computer when the chip is installed as it will be over written. If I install maps to the gps and then put the chip in, will I be able to see both?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Bronze Member

You can only query owner name, no contact info is available.

Yes, you can send maps to the GPS with the chip out and then be able to switch between any number of maps. See our Tutorial 7; Hunting GPS Maps - Turning On and Off Map Layers on your Garmin GPS

and Tutorial 6 might help
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Any hope for at least the northwest quarter of South Dakota being captured for the Garmin 62?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Bronze Member

Not with Land Owner Names. Not for another couple years, sorry
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

A couple more question.

Can I backup the SD card to my pc somehow, just in case I were to over-write it? Just wondering if I can put it in a reader and just copy the contents of the card to my hard drive...

I'm also wondering about this map:(Hunting GPS Maps - Idaho Game Management Unit- GMU Boundaries Transparent GPS Map) it says that it is a free download, but I don't seem to be able to download it in any way that doesn't require some form of payment. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for your time. The chip has helped me already. Unfortunately not for hunting, but at work its helped us locate landowners. Its been really nice to have.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, you can save the files on the SD card onto your computer in case you overwrite something, just put all the contents back on the card the same way they were.

You should be able to select Download Map then type in your information into the form and it will create a license for the Free map and email you information. Then login to MyMaps and download the map . . . Try it again
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM

I have a question.
Do you have any plans to add active mining claims to the software?
I do a lot of prospecting and have to do a lot of research to find active claims and then when I'm out on the ground it's hard to know if I am on active claims.
Thanks
Neil