Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

public land softwear for GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

public land softwear for GPS

Does anyone know if someone makes any softwear that indicates public land (state, BLM, ect...) on a hand held Garmin GPS. I know that Delorme make it but you also have to have thier GPS unit.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:23 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: public land softwear for GPS

Funny you should ask that question.

I am using such software as we speak. I am out in NW Wyoming on a doe hunt and 2010 scouting trip. I am hunting public land. I am using a new Garmin compatible public hunting land software on my Garmin Oregon 300 GPS unit.

I also used the MT version 10 days ago out in MT.

More on this later but I am now a dealer and can sell you a copy if you are interested.

It is amazing. The other day I had a guy challenge me while I was clearly on state hunting land. He thought I was on his buddy's private land that he had been hunting for 6 years. I pulled out my BLM map and showed him how my GPS matched my BLM map. Pointed at a fence line about 100 yards away and said "would you agree that my GPS shows us standing about that same 100 yards away from the public/private border. He relaxed his stern look and agreed.

Gotta go hunt, see you later.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post

I am using such software as we speak. I am out in NW Wyoming on a doe hunt and 2010 scouting trip. I am hunting public land. I am using a new Garmin compatible public hunting land software on my Garmin Oregon 300 GPS unit.

I also used the MT version 10 days ago out in MT.

More on this later but I am now a dealer and can sell you a copy if you are interested.

It is amazing. The other day I had a guy challenge me while I was clearly on state hunting land. He thought I was on his buddy's private land that he had been hunting for 6 years. I pulled out my BLM map and showed him how my GPS matched my BLM map. Pointed at a fence line about 100 yards away and said "would you agree that my GPS shows us standing about that same 100 yards away from the public/private border. He relaxed his stern look and agreed.

Gotta go hunt, see you later.
Len, watch the state lands on that gps chip, there are a lot of state lands trades that have not been updated and included on it. there are many sections just here around me that are not correct that were traded by the state over 2 years ago. it could show you on state ground and you could still get a free ride to the courthouse. the blm seems fairly accurate.

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Len that software sounds awsome. Are you going to have it for CO also?

Another GPS question for you guys. I just purchased a garmin oregon 400t and was wandering where I can get satalight imaging maps for it. It says in the manual you can get satalight images for the area you are hunting so I am assuming someone has done it.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Martin View Post
Len, watch the state lands on that gps chip, there are a lot of state lands trades that have not been updated and included on it. there are many sections just here around me that are not correct that were traded by the state over 2 years ago. it could show you on state ground and you could still get a free ride to the courthouse. the blm seems fairly accurate.
As with any map you are using - paper map from the BLM or digital maps, you can't completely rely on the map to show you the most current land trades. Always obey property postings and if there is a property in question, you must consult with BLM or State Land officials; whether you are using a paper map or a GPS map.

The HUGE difference between a paper BLM map and the GPS map is that the GPS shows you where you are on the map.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post

I am using such software as we speak.
Do you have a website we could look at what you are talking about to see if it's something we'd like to purchase? And is MT and WY the only two states you have available?

What GPS's do your maps work with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingGPSmaps View Post
The HUGE difference between a paper BLM map and the GPS map is that the GPS shows you where you are on the map.
As your name might indicate, do you have these types of maps as well?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 PM
PUBLISHER

We have WY, MT, WA, ID, NM, OR, UT, and CO so far. More to folow.

Only Garmin compatibility so far.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-18-2010 at 01:42 PM.