Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth


Reply

public land softwear for GPS

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wishing I was back in MT
Posts: 96
public land softwear for GPS

Does anyone know if someone makes any softwear that indicates public land (state, BLM, ect...) on a hand held Garmin GPS. I know that Delorme make it but you also have to have thier GPS unit.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:23 AM
PUBLISHER
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,752
Re: public land softwear for GPS

Funny you should ask that question.

I am using such software as we speak. I am out in NW Wyoming on a doe hunt and 2010 scouting trip. I am hunting public land. I am using a new Garmin compatible public hunting land software on my Garmin Oregon 300 GPS unit.

I also used the MT version 10 days ago out in MT.

More on this later but I am now a dealer and can sell you a copy if you are interested.

It is amazing. The other day I had a guy challenge me while I was clearly on state hunting land. He thought I was on his buddy's private land that he had been hunting for 6 years. I pulled out my BLM map and showed him how my GPS matched my BLM map. Pointed at a fence line about 100 yards away and said "would you agree that my GPS shows us standing about that same 100 yards away from the public/private border. He relaxed his stern look and agreed.

Gotta go hunt, see you later.
__________________


Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 161
Re: public land softwear for GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Funny you should ask that question.

I am using such software as we speak. I am out in NW Wyoming on a doe hunt and 2010 scouting trip. I am hunting public land. I am using a new Garmin compatible public hunting land software on my Garmin Oregon 300 GPS unit.

I also used the MT version 10 days ago out in MT.

More on this later but I am now a dealer and can sell you a copy if you are interested.

It is amazing. The other day I had a guy challenge me while I was clearly on state hunting land. He thought I was on his buddy's private land that he had been hunting for 6 years. I pulled out my BLM map and showed him how my GPS matched my BLM map. Pointed at a fence line about 100 yards away and said "would you agree that my GPS shows us standing about that same 100 yards away from the public/private border. He relaxed his stern look and agreed.

Gotta go hunt, see you later.
Len, watch the state lands on that gps chip, there are a lot of state lands trades that have not been updated and included on it. there are many sections just here around me that are not correct that were traded by the state over 2 years ago. it could show you on state ground and you could still get a free ride to the courthouse. the blm seems fairly accurate.
__________________
Bud Martin
www.redboneoutfitting.com

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Re: public land softwear for GPS

Len that software sounds awsome. Are you going to have it for CO also?

Another GPS question for you guys. I just purchased a garmin oregon 400t and was wandering where I can get satalight imaging maps for it. It says in the manual you can get satalight images for the area you are hunting so I am assuming someone has done it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 84
Re: public land softwear for GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Martin View Post
Len, watch the state lands on that gps chip, there are a lot of state lands trades that have not been updated and included on it. there are many sections just here around me that are not correct that were traded by the state over 2 years ago. it could show you on state ground and you could still get a free ride to the courthouse. the blm seems fairly accurate.
As with any map you are using - paper map from the BLM or digital maps, you can't completely rely on the map to show you the most current land trades. Always obey property postings and if there is a property in question, you must consult with BLM or State Land officials; whether you are using a paper map or a GPS map.

The HUGE difference between a paper BLM map and the GPS map is that the GPS shows you where you are on the map.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 295
Re: public land softwear for GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Funny you should ask that question.

I am using such software as we speak.
Do you have a website we could look at what you are talking about to see if it's something we'd like to purchase? And is MT and WY the only two states you have available?

What GPS's do your maps work with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingGPSmaps View Post
The HUGE difference between a paper BLM map and the GPS map is that the GPS shows you where you are on the map.
As your name might indicate, do you have these types of maps as well?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 PM
PUBLISHER
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,752
Re: public land softwear for GPS

We have WY, MT, WA, ID, NM, OR, UT, and CO so far. More to folow.

Only Garmin compatibility so far.
__________________


Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-18-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: public land softwear for GPS
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Public Land Elk Hunts huntingfool Elk Hunting 5 07-07-2011 07:31 AM
Public Land data for DeLorme PN-40 Bulseyetom Maps, GPS and Google Earth 2 12-28-2009 05:46 PM
Best public land in Co for elk? EXPRESS Long Range Hunting & Shooting 4 11-07-2009 10:55 PM
How to tell if you're on/(still on) the public hunting land? Len Backus General Discussion 8 10-23-2009 01:24 PM
Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico lerch Long Range Hunting & Shooting 13 09-21-2006 10:07 AM

Current Poll
Where in the US do you live?
West of the Mississippi River - 59.92%
770 Votes
East of the Mississippi River - 37.74%
485 Votes
On the Mississippi River on a houseboat - 2.33%
30 Votes
Total Votes: 1,285
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC