Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Personal Locator Beacon - PLB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: Personal Locator Beacon - PLB

So I poked around and found SPOT is using a group of LEO birds at 52 deg inclination. So they are horizon to horizon in less than 25 minutes. The complete cluster should provide constant coverage if your in the open. If you think about being in the bottom of a canyon and the satallite happen to flying directly over you might still only have a few minutes of good visability per pass. That is why the spot short message and multiple retries works. The "dumb" spot uses the older generation of satallites and the spot phone uses the newer higher bandwidth satallites.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

For skiing or remote access snowmachining, a PLB is a good investment. For remote hunting, IMO, it's a 'feel good' item.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
If you want something to communicate with via satellite and track, then I think you have to go with a SPOT or inReach, or something similar (I've own and tested both devices mentioned).
That fits my personal need and what I have in mind for the LRH Store product selection.

Jacob Berger of Mule Creek Outfitting using my SPOT phone to call his wife.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Personal Locator Beacon - PLB-346-400.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

When I drew my Utah Desert Sheep this year...I decided to buy the ACR unit...no annual contract.....peace of mind in your backpack...we are in remote Utah outback either hunting/hiking or on SxS machines alot...no cell coverage in most areas...after an ATV accident several years ago...a friend and I were first responders...accident victim really hurt bad.....took over two hours to get air med there...I believe the ACR unit could have saved a lot of time....
http://www.acrartex.com/
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

I don't have a need for one for hunting, But that's just Me. If it makes you feel more secure go for it.
Yes I have a 406 type ELT in the Plane I fly for work & it works very well. I had it go off one time shortly after we had it installed and before I could taxi in the Airforce had called the Airport for a crashed plane & our office in less than 5 minutes. I would not waste money on the old 121.5 type. Good & Safe Hunting.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

So what does a hunter need for a backcountry hunt where textn loved ones would b sufficient? Least expensive but reliable
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Just researched the spot sat. phone. looks like that may b what i need to go with. thanks Len