Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

New?? USGS topo maps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Re: New?? USGS topo maps

If you have a full version of ADOBE you can just crop pieces and save them individually. I do it the long way around with reader x. I have the map in the reader, zoom into what I want then use the Snipping tool in Windws 7 (if you use Windows 7). Save the snip as a jpeg then just open it and print.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow1 View Post
If you have a full version of ADOBE you can just crop pieces and save them individually. I do it the long way around with reader x. I have the map in the reader, zoom into what I want then use the Snipping tool in Windws 7 (if you use Windows 7). Save the snip as a jpeg then just open it and print.
I'm still typing this using on old XP loaded laptop! I'll have to catch up one of these days...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM

If your in XP do a couple web searches and you can get some free versions of Snagit, which is the same as the clipping tool in Windows 7. I believe Miicrosoft acutally bought snagit.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow1 View Post
If your in XP do a couple web searches and you can get some free versions of Snagit, which is the same as the clipping tool in Windows 7. I believe Miicrosoft acutally bought snagit.
Will do. Thanks for the tip! I always take a printed off chunk the relevant portion of a 7.5 quad, but to have a ortho and topo in one would be great, although the quad portions I have been printing from an old TOPO program allow me to label the edges (and put a lat/long grid on the map) with lat/long so I can find my location on the printed map easier.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Bronze Member

You can also get a tool bar for adobe acrobat called "TerraGo Toolbar that allows you to do some pretty neat stuff, turn on and off layers, measure, mark, view coordinates, etc. The new orthophotos are really cool...I just downloaded a bunch a few weeks ago. We have a HP printer that prints tabloid size (11x17) and I have been busy... I thought about printing out some big maps at the local print/post place, but it was way too expensive. 11x17 is plenty big for me. I usually print the USGS quad out on 11x17, then print out areas of interest on 8.5x11. Have fun. GIS is great for hunting!