Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

New?? USGS topo maps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

New?? USGS topo maps

I got in the mail today my new USGS topo map. I used to carry topo maps with me all the time but now with the GPS and google earth you don't need as much. But I did do some research on maps and found what appears a "new"?? map. It is labeled for 2012 so it must be new for this area at least. It is a topo map with elevation/contour lines over top of satellite imagery map. Kinda neat so I had to get one. They are $15 instead of the usual $8. It also took a couple weeks. I called today and the receptionist said they don't print this one till friday or something. When I got off the phone Fedex walked in the shop and delivered it. 30 or 26

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: New?? USGS topo maps

In my neck of the woods they are called Orthophoto maps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthophoto
Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
I got in the mail today my new USGS topo map. I used to carry topo maps with me all the time but now with the GPS and google earth you don't need as much. But I did do some research on maps and found what appears a "new"?? map. It is labeled for 2012 so it must be new for this area at least. It is a topo map with elevation/contour lines over top of satellite imagery map. Kinda neat so I had to get one. They are $15 instead of the usual $8. It also took a couple weeks. I called today and the receptionist said they don't print this one till friday or something. When I got off the phone Fedex walked in the shop and delivered it. 30 or 26

Would you provide the link to where you ordered these?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

Find your location
then Mark your point
then click the marker to see the available maps
then click on the map you are interested in.

You can download them and look at them.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

Find your location
then Mark your point
then click the marker to see the available maps
then click on the map you are interested in.

You can download them and look at them.

I hope this helps.
Thanks drbill. That is a new product to me and a great one! I'm thinking I should be able to download the map, email the .pdf to my local Office Max or other print shop and have them print one up and have it ready for me today. Perhaps they'll have double sides presentation paper of photo quality and print one map one one side and another map on the other side. No since in having one side of the paper be blank, eh? Thanks for finding this.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM

I use that site quite a bit. Use both the orthoquads and the regular. We have a large format printer in our office so I can print the whole map. If you only want parts you can also just print chunks of it on good ol 8.5 by 11 on your printer at home. It is a heck of a lot easier, and cheaper, than buying a bunch of maps.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow1 View Post
I use that site quite a bit. Use both the orthoquads and the regular. We have a large format printer in our office so I can print the whole map. If you only want parts you can also just print chunks of it on good ol 8.5 by 11 on your printer at home. It is a heck of a lot easier, and cheaper, than buying a bunch of maps.
So, sounds like you can print selective portions of the .pdf file. I'll have to look into how to do that. Any tips? I've got Adobe Reader X.