Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

National Forest Maps for GPS and Google Earth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Bronze Member

National Forest Maps for GPS and Google Earth

Just wanted to let everyone know about our new National Forest Maps for the GPS and Google Earth. Here is a summary of each product - basically they are your paper National Forest maps overlayed on your GPS or Google Earth.

You can find them in our Map Store by clicking on your state then selecting "Other Maps": https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/Web_Store/Default.php

GPS:
Ever wish your Paper Map showed where you were? Now it can! Just pick your National Forest and the exact same map that's in your backpack can be loaded on your Garmin GPS. Just download this file and load it onto your Garmin.

Google Earth
Heading to or near a National Forest? This tool will get you more prepared and educated on your area using Overlays in Google Earth. Use National Forest Paper maps in Google Earth to determine where all access points are in a certain area. Plus determine which roads and trails are closed while scouting using Google Earth.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Re: National Forest Maps for GPS and Google Earth

I have been using a Garmin Legend etrex Hcx GPS in the field along with the topo and mapping tools to plot points etc. I look & study Google Earth but it looks like i can enhance my scouting more. I'm not sure if I can download with it. I know there is a cable with it so it must be able to. I guess I need to study the tutorials more. Longbowelk
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

I just bought that GPS a few weeks ago and have only had it out once. I love the quick satellite acquisition compared to my older Legend. Ours are capable of uploading/downloading with that USB cable and I hope you're aware you can also use the microSD chips they are selling. The slot they go in is in the internal battery compartment where it's waterproof in case you haven't looked there.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Topgun: Thanks for the info. I need to get mine out and get myself updated with some of these new deals. Longbowelk
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSmaps View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know about our new National Forest Maps for the GPS and Google Earth. Here is a summary of each product - basically they are your paper National Forest maps overlayed on your GPS or Google Earth.

You can find them in our Map Store by clicking on your state then selecting "Other Maps": https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/Web_Store/Default.php

GPS:
Ever wish your Paper Map showed where you were? Now it can! Just pick your National Forest and the exact same map that's in your backpack can be loaded on your Garmin GPS. Just download this file and load it onto your Garmin.

Google Earth
Heading to or near a National Forest? This tool will get you more prepared and educated on your area using Overlays in Google Earth. Use National Forest Paper maps in Google Earth to determine where all access points are in a certain area. Plus determine which roads and trails are closed while scouting using Google Earth.
Question, maybe you kniow. When does Google earth do a map revision?

I moved to this place 8 years age and the google map is still the same map
as when i got here.

There has been a lot of revision to the area in that peroid of time.

Just wondering?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Bronze Member

It depends on the area, so it's hard to say.

I can't really give you a definitive answer, sorry!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for your reply. For now I will just scratch Google Earth and use
the map services of the USFS and the service offered by my GPS. service.

I do like the Idea of a bigger overlay on the PC. Especially if it has typo on it.

I am familiar with the areas I hunt. But, we keep losing roads. So other methods of access are needed. Especially to remove downed game prior to either spoilage or predator discovery.