Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Montana Land Owner's Names GPS Map With Topo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Montana Land Owner's Names GPS Map With Topo

Montana Land Owner's Names GPS Map with Topo

I bought this map for my Garmin 60CSX and my brother bought one too.

I got it from LRH Len.

I was driving around hunting with a 70 year old rancher, who has spent his whole life in that MT county.

He and a couple other old guys, who would never want any new gadgets, are now talking about getting one.

They know all the other ranchers, and go to church with them, but they have never seen the actual boundary lines before. They all have section maps, but have never seen it combined with "you are here".

I shot this mule doe at 380 yards with a 180 gr VLD 7mmRM.

I shot 3 animals and came home last night.
My brother shot 4 animals and is still there.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Montana Land Owner's Names GPS Map With Topo

That is nice,I have lived in Eastern Montana all My life.
I stopped hunting big game quite a few years ago but I am thinking about getting back into hunting for the bigger critters,here,locally.
I have been out shooting P dogs the past couple of years and I am thinking about getting a GPS just so I know exactly where I am as I have been huinting on gubment lands and have had rancher/farmer/outfitters accuse Me of being on their property when I knew exactly where I was,they never did stick around to argue with Me and they never did call in Fish and Game so I knew I was right,seems one a them new fangled electronical units would take any questions out of it.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Montana Land Owner's Names GPS Map With Topo

The section lines often have fences on them.
The GPS is usually within a couple feet.

But in one situation where a no hunting private ranch borders BLM land, the fence is 100 feet onto the BLM land.

Who cares? It is right in the middle of a prairie dog town. The BLM land is so shot over, it is just shy immature dogs. But just over the fence and over a ridge are fat fearless mature dogs.

So I crossed the fence and put surveyor tape on sage brush that was on the line.

It is not as nice as shooting from a benchrest, but I can jump the fence with a rifle, go over there and shoot some fat dogs.