Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Looking for a GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for a GPS

Be sure to handle several models before making up your mind. I went to Gander Mountain with my mind set on an Oregon. My b-in-law has one and I figured I needed one like his. The price was right too. After handling it and navigating the screen for a while in the store,I wasn't comfortable with it. The screen had to be touched slightly off the icons to get them to function. Maybe not a big deal but it kinda bugged me. I wasn't positive I could navigate it with cold hands either. I was bummed as I arranged the funds for a new GPS and was leaving for Colorado in a month. I took a look at a couple other similarly priced units to no avail. Then the clerk handed me the GPS Map. I figured he was just milking me for another $100 to help with the commission,lol. I have to admit,it's a BIG unit. It is a little hard to accomodate in a pocket. But, I can opperate the buttons with ease. The screen is of ample size and daylight visible. My old Garmin is a real pain in bright sunlight. I spent the week in the mountains using it almost constantly and never changed batteries. The brother-in-law changed his once mid week. A big deal? probably not,but I don't like having to fiddle with stuff like that while hunting. That's why I went to all led lights. Surefire and Streamlight. Batteries last forever in these lights.
With the addition of the mini SD card for Colorado,the unit I selected ended up being just shy of $500. The SD card wasn't necessary just something I wanted to try. I would recommend one to anyone that can justify the $100 cost.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Thanks every one for your in put, I made my mind up and Broke the bank and I bought the MONTANA 650T GARMIN and love it. I was a bit disappointed after spending $$670+ and now have to spend another heap of $$$ on maps, other than that it’s not too bad. And might do a revue of it in the feature….
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Im consdiering the 62s
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM

I have a GPSmap 76CX and I love it. I think it's been discontinued now, but it's a color model with decent battery life and more than enough features for me. I have a cradle on my motorcycle that it fits into and it never gives me issues. I can and do operate with gloves on while riding. It's saved my tail a few times when I went for a spirited ride and found myself on reserve far sooner than I thought I would.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Download Garmin's basecamp from their website, and then check out this website:

GPSFileDepot - All U.S. Garmin Compatible Maps

You can install those maps under basecamp on your unit. I have been using all the colorado topo2011, wyoming, and utah maps. There are lots of free maps out there. Also, you can import custom maps on those systems (like a forest service road map).
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Does anyone know of a program that interfaces with a GPS whereas I could down load GPS locations to a computer and have it create a map for me?

I bought an 83 acre property, with hills and valleys and surveys cost about $8,000 here in ny to get a new survey. I want to walk the previous survey done a few years ago and re stake my property and have a record of it in GPS format. I don't know if I will ever get another survey done, but it's important to record this information for my knowledge and my kids someday.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Ed, I believe this will do what you want. It will create a boundary anyway.

TopoFusion.com | GPS Mapping Software for Windows