Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Looking for a GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Looking for a GPS

Hey guys,
Iím looking for a compact GPS unit, not sure what I should get (havenít found what I want)
Looking for something that has topographical maps and detailed terrain,
Max spending $$ 350
Thanks..
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for a GPS

I have a garmin GPS MAP 60CSX

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'g get the Garmin Legend HCx from Amazon.com for around $150 like I did and if you plan on hunting over here in the states you can still buy one or two state SD chips for it and stay below your budget. If you have no plans to come here, then go up to a fancier one, but stay with Garmin as I think they make the best GPS units.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Garmin 450 this summer and I like it ALOT more than my old Lowrance. Cabellas had 'em on sale for a while last month.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

Using the Garmin 62S here. A little more than your budgeted expense,but Ive never been this happy with a gps. LOOONG battery life. Ease of opperation. I added a colorado micro SD card with detailed topo and color coded boundries including management units. If you can swing it,that would be my recommendation.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
Using the Garmin 62S here. A little more than your budgeted expense,but Ive never been this happy with a gps. LOOONG battery life. Ease of opperation. I added a colorado micro SD card with detailed topo and color coded boundries including management units. If you can swing it,that would be my recommendation.
I am looking at the garmin 62st! I played with one at cabelas this week! Very nice. That's on my list of items to acquire!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Garmin Oregon 400T ( the T stands for topo map that comes preloaded ) and I love it! They can be had online new for your price range. I bought a land ownership SD card from the store on this forum, and it is awesome!!!! Very easy to use and it's touchscreen.