Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Help!! GPS illiterate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help!! GPS illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
I'm like the other guy, past about 200 yards my Garmin measures in .1 mile increments. A tenth of a mile is 528 feet or 176 yards. That means your target range can be off by plus or minus 175 yards, or up to 350 yards. I can guess closer than that. Am I figuring that right?

That's funny! If what you're saying were true, why do you think anybody even uses one?!!! Read your instructional book and use your zoom in/out feature, etc., do as we said and you'll figure it out. As we said, most of the newer units are accurate within 15' or less, especially when you have WAAS enabled.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
That's funny! If what you're saying were true, why do you think anybody even uses one?!!! Read your instructional book and use your zoom in/out feature, etc., do as we said and you'll figure it out. As we said, most of the newer units are accurate within 15' or less, especially when you have WAAS enabled.
Oh, mine is plenty accurate as far as position. Probably even closer than the 15'. But that is for location purposes. The problem is in how it displays distance between two waypoints. Its not in feet once you pass 528 feet, it's in tenths of a mile. Thats where the problem comes in
I wish you could tell the unit how to display distance : yards, meters or feet. That would also be great fot Google Earth and Google Maps. Most of us wouldn't even need a range finder.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Did you ever think about setting a waypoint right where it changes from feet to .1 miles? Then you will be back in feet to get to the next spot. Just keep doing that and adding feet together to make the various points you want all the way out to 1000+ yards or whatever.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

I've tried every way in the world to measure distance. Thank goodness they finally invented an affordable range finder so i don't have to do it any more. I love my Leica.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

You said you own a Garmin and if that's the case it should have a distance measurement in the setup section of the booklet. Normally you can set up one of the pages for time elapsed, distance traveled, etc. Look it up in the instruction booklet and I'l bet you'll find what you need to do what you want.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

You're missing the point Topgun. I use my GPS to keep from getting lost. I use my rangefinder to measure distance to targets.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

For no more than you seem to know about a GPS may God help you!