Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Which GPS unit for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which GPS unit for me?

I forgot to mention... IMO, the Rhino is conceptually a good idea, but you're paying a lot for a FRS/GMRS radio built into the GPS. Yes, it does have the capability to display another person's position using a similar Rhino, but I just can't justify the cost. You could argue that it's better because you're reducing the number of devices you have to carry. My arguments against are:

1) Unless you're willing to invest in 2 Rhino's, you're hunting buddy will need one too.
2) I prefer to have a separate radio, for both reliability and power consumption. With respect to the latter, when I'm not on the move I don't have my GPS on. I guess with the Rhino you could manually shut off the GPS and use it as just a radio, but this seems like a step I might forget resulting in unnecessary power consumption.
3) It's not often that I need to know exactly where a hunting buddy might be. But when I do, it's just as easy to report your position (lat and lon) using a radio, and plug that position into your GPS as a POI or waypoint. If needing an exact position all the time is something important, then perhaps a dog tracking collar is more appropriate Or, you could possibly use Garmin's geo-caching beacons as a way to report each other's positions, providing your unit is compatible (i've not tried this, and don't know if it's capable ... it's just a thought ).
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I may checkout that Recon program, but the country we're going into will be steep, rugged and lots of trees so I probably won't rely on it as my only source. After the Rino feedback I've gotten, I guess I’m leaning towards one of these unless anyone has a reason to make me look elsewhere. These seem to have some of the best reviews, are fairly inexpensive and still have the SD slot.

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal Navigator
Not sure if it’s worth the extra $30 over this one though…
Garmin eTrex 20 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again
Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

eTrex 20 - better display that is much easier to see in daylight. Built-in memory (1.7 GB), and custom maps compatible. It's worth the $30 more.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

You cant go wrong with garmin! The best gps going Imo, and our group has tried them all.

The i-phone app must work better on different phones, as its been did nuts for us here at sea level. Sat equation has been fast also and would think it should be even better at higher elevations. Battery life is not a big deal for us. We always have a generator or are in a motel. We will give a unbiased opinion after this years Wyoming hunt.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

The Legend HCx is all I need and with the Wyoming SD chip I bought for it I think it's fantastic. The GPS was only $153 delivered on Amazon.com and sometimes the price is lower than that.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks All! Great input!

eTrex 20 or Legend HCx. Or if you have the money get the GPSMAP 62s or 62sc
Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

Top Gun I sent you a Pm with a few questions on the Legend and the sd card for Wyoming.