Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

GPS-which models?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: GPS-which models?

I use the Garmin 530C Rhino. Has 40 ch / 2-way communicator. Accurate, dependable, battery life is exceptional. Nice thing is, if your buddies have a unit like it and are in the same area you can locate them on your units map. Never hunt without it and is my most relyed on piece of hunting equipment I own next to my rifle. This thing will do everything except shoot my deer for me!

NRA life Member

US Army 79 - 85, 368th Combat Battalion, Sarget Spec-5, Combat Engineer

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

We also use the Rhino. Three of our guys have various health problems. If anyone goes down we can locate them immediately. Gives them and us confidence and decreases the worry factor. Allows them to hunt inspite of health problems.
Russ
Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

I think the Garmin units also have a feature that allows you to point the GPS at a distant location, and input a range. Thus giving you a waypoint at the other end. Could be pretty useful if you need to find game that is down on the other side of a valley.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

The Rhino w/radio isn't bad, but even more expensive than the 60CSx, which has the best/most accurate satellite tracking. Bear in mind, that despite the number of buttons on the 60CSx, you can at least operate them with gloves on (a surveyor's tip is to glue a rubber pencil eraser on your glove's pinky finger). Touch screens only work with bare skin, although just yesterday I came across a news item on conductive thread that you could sew into a glove. Nonetheless, the reception on the newer (and also more expensive units) like the Oregon and Colorado is just not as good.

I have custom programmed my 60CSx with topo maps I created in ArcMap and MapWel. This isn't something someone without GIS experience could do but at least with the Garmins it's possible. Nothing like being able to quickly flip on a township and range layer to show someone either that you are in the right place or they are in the wrong place! Also, I've added custom features like certain meadows I want to approach carefully.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoMT View Post
The Rhino w/radio isn't bad, but even more expensive than the 60CSx, which has the best/most accurate satellite tracking. Bear in mind, that despite the number of buttons on the 60CSx, you can at least operate them with gloves on (a surveyor's tip is to glue a rubber pencil eraser on your glove's pinky finger). Touch screens only work with bare skin, although just yesterday I came across a news item on conductive thread that you could sew into a glove. Nonetheless, the reception on the newer (and also more expensive units) like the Oregon and Colorado is just not as good.

I have custom programmed my 60CSx with topo maps I created in ArcMap and MapWel. This isn't something someone without GIS experience could do but at least with the Garmins it's possible. Nothing like being able to quickly flip on a township and range layer to show someone either that you are in the right place or they are in the wrong place! Also, I've added custom features like certain meadows I want to approach carefully.
Can you tell me more about importing maps fro ArcGIS into the Garmin GPS units? I have the GIS experience and have been thinking about a new consumer grade GPS, the ability to do this would would certainly bear on my choice.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Len,
Please tell us how the Oregon 300 worked for you. I'm thinking about getting one for next year and installing the "Public Land" SD card. Also where did you get your Public Land mapping disc? I saw one at KLMers. com. Thanks.

Gordon
Niceville, FL
Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Bronze Member

The 60 CSx is a great choice as indicated by the replys.i use a 76CSx which is pretty much the same thing feature wise,different shape and it floats.I've been looking at the Delorme PN 40 which looks pretty darn slick.Check the Delorme site and see what this thing will do.Delormes Topo USA is way better than Map source and you can get the 7.5 min quads as well as satallite imagry.The compass will work in any position as well.