Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

GPS maps / IPAD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: GPS maps / IPAD

Texashunter,

Thanks for your input on the IPad, it sounds like you have it figured out to do pretty much exactly what I wanted. I have a Droid phone and there is a map app available that will let you cache google earth maps of specific areas and pull them up later with no cell phone signal. It works great, but the screen on my droid is too small.

I have been putting off buying an IPad, but you have pushed me over the edge now. Thanks alot for costing me money
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
SPONSOR

Your welcome RDM416. Have you priced search and rescue ops lately ;-)

Thoroughbred Rifles
Old 10-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHunter View Post
Topo Maps for iPad
Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the otter box heads up. Awesome mine just came in. Just what i was looking for. I love it.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 PM
SPONSOR

Update Guys,

I spent most of November exploring our new lease with my iPad and hunting. I think the go to app is GAIA topo maps. I used it extensively and it has real USGS maps, saves tracks, saves points and generally works like we need it to. The key to keeping the tracks alive is to go to the iPad settings and turn auto-lock to never and set auto-brightness to off. Then the app stays up and running and keeps all your track info up to date.

Merry Christmas to you guys.

Dale

Thoroughbred Rifles
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Hey guys, I was reading your posts as I just bought an iPad2 and the information was great. I do a lot of hunting in central Kansas and was wondering if anyone knows if there is an app to overlay the walk in/public hunting areas on the topo maps. I don't have my iPad with me, so I haven't downloaded the topo maps, but I was hoping there is someone smarter than me that would know how to over lay the Kansas walk in map onto the topo map. Also, since we hunt a lot of private land too, does anyone know if you can highlight areas and input text such as number of birds seen/shot, type of feed/cover/water in the area, etc. Thanks for any help
Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Texashunter,

Thanks for your input on the IPad, it sounds like you have it figured out to do pretty much exactly what I wanted. I have a Droid phone and there is a map app available that will let you cache google earth maps of specific areas and pull them up later with no cell phone signal. It works great, but the screen on my droid is too small.

I have been putting off buying an IPad, but you have pushed me over the edge now. Thanks alot for costing me money
Which app is that for your droid phone? I bought my wife a Samsung 10.1 tablet and would like to try that?

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-fort...colorado-CO109

Last edited by dariuszczyszczon; 11-26-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: change