Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Google Earth ruler question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Google Earth ruler question

Hi guys, I've been using Google Earth for a while now and really enjoy it for measuring those shooting distances that my rangefinder won't reach or finding a new shooting position ect. My question is on the ruler: There is a "Map Length" and a "Ground Length." Would the map length basically be my "shoot to distance" taking into account the angle and the ground length my "straight line" distance such as what a standard laser rangefinder would give you without angle corrrection?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Google Earth ruler question

At higher elevations, the map scale is slightly off. The "map distance" does not account for the fact that an inch on the map in Leadville is not the same as an inch on the map in San Diego. Ground distance accounts for that. So the ground distance should be closer to your RF reading. I just did a test and the ratio over the Gulf of Mexico was 1.005 map length per ground length. In the Himalayas, it was 0.99 map length per ground length, due to the ~15,000 feet of elevation difference.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Google Earth ruler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadPilot View Post
At higher elevations, the map scale is slightly off. The "map distance" does not account for the fact that an inch on the map in Leadville is not the same as an inch on the map in San Diego. Ground distance accounts for that. So the ground distance should be closer to your RF reading. I just did a test and the ratio over the Gulf of Mexico was 1.005 map length per ground length. In the Himalayas, it was 0.99 map length per ground length.
Thank you! So obviously the two different lengths have nothing to do with changes in gravity/shoot to distances based on differences in elevation/angle. Question answered.