Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Maps, GPS and Google Earth

Blm maps for sale on this site

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

Blm maps for sale on this site

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the two maps for sale on this particular site and if one is any better than the other?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Blm maps for sale on this site

The cheaper BLM version does not show who actually owns the private land and that is the only difference. The PLAT version actually gives the name of who owns the private property that you put your pointer on. I bought the cheaper chip for Wyoming because I didn't feel the need to know who owned it. Check your inbox for a PM!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Bronze Member

Awesome feedback thanks man! Any suggestions on a top of the line gps?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

You can go up as high in price as to what lights your fire. I bought the Garmin HCx on Amazon.com for $153 to my door and it's all I need. I just updated my Wyoming BLM SD chip right online with my USB port this morning with the new system they have in place that no longer requires you to mail them the chip. IMHO their product and service is better than sliced bread, LOL!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

I don't know about top of the line but I bought a Garmin Oregon 450 this summer and also bought the sd card these guys are talking about.
The gps unit is a giant upgrade from my old Lowrance and the map card is spectacular. The folks that sell the card are super, both before and after the sale.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
You can go up as high in price as to what lights your fire. I bought the Garmin HCx on Amazon.com for $153 to my door and it's all I need. I just updated my Wyoming BLM SD chip right online with my USB port this morning with the new system they have in place that no longer requires you to mail them the chip. IMHO their product and service is better than sliced bread, LOL!
Hey Topgun,
I just did the same thing, this morning too. We have the exact same setup. The $40.00 was a little hard to swallow but I did it anyway.

Bob
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

I had the freebie coming since I bought my Legend HCx within their timeframe, which I didn't know about originally until it came up on the forums. I thought you had one freebie coming any time you wanted to use it and then found out differently. I wouldn't think there would be much need for yearly updates now that they have had the chips out for awhile, unless they come out with more stuff on them. Then I'll make the decision whether to pay the $40 upgrade. I think the chips are expensive, but more than worth the money just to avoid a trespass ticket if you hunt where there is a mixture of public and private lands. Did you get any kind of an email notice like they said we would get about doing the upgrade online instead of mailing the chip in? I actually went on their site to send them an email asking about it and saw what I thought was the new setup and sure enough it was. I had a little trouble at the start because it kept saying it didn't recognize my chip. Then I read the little ditty on the screen that said I might need to go into the Setup and do one little thing to get it to respond and it did. It was something to do with USB Mass Storage and when I clicked on it everything started up. I'm sure not a computer nerd, but it was neat doing it online and not having to risk chip damage like you would if you had to mail it in the old way.