Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Slug gun advice/Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Slug gun advice/Help

Ok, I'm looking a bolt or Semi Auto slug gun for this years deer season. Any advice. I would be game for maybe and encore if that would be the best way to go but any help would be great..thx
Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Coyote

I switched to an encore 20 ga and do not regret it. New 20 ga slugs can do 200 yds easy.

Only issue with slug guns is finding the right slug which can take some work and $. What shoots like a house afire in one, looks like "patterns" in the next. I have also found that 3" slugs are really not needed and the 2 3/4 normally group much better.

Start with $3 box win or rem to zero scope and get on paper and then 2-3 shot groups. would recommend two of you team up and split a box to find what shoots in your gun.

Would also highly recommend the Nikon BDC reticles with the slug gun

BH
Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Bronze Member

I would recommend the Savage 210 bolt action slug gun. It will not break the bank and is very accurate. Mount a scope on it, figure out what it shoots and as long as you are okay with a dedicated slug gun, you are set. Mine shoots well with Winchester Partition Gold slugs, though I am thinking of trying to switch to the Hornady SSTs as these are the same bullets I shoot in my muzzleloader and I have found a good supply of them at a much more reasonable price.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

H&R

IMHO, the H&R single shots are the best gun for the money. Our hunting group has a total of 6 of them in 12 gauge and 20 gauge and all shoot fantastic with Lightfield slugs in both gauges. They have extremely heavy barrels which I'm sure helps with the accuracy but also tames recoil. My 8 year old shoots his 20 with no problems. At around $175-$200, you can't beat them.

Let us know what you get and how it shoots.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Slug gun

If you are actually looking for the (best) slug gun In my opinion it is the Tar Hunt. go to Lightfield Sabot Shotgun Ammunition Slugs & Tar-Hunt Custom Hunting Rifled Barrel Rifle Slug Guns. Less Lethal Wildlife Control Ammunition.. I would suggest you consider a Savage 10ml muzzle loader you can shoot smokeless powder and in field conditions get sub 3 inch groups at 200 yards. I have never found a slug gun that can come close to that level of accuracy. I currently carry a Remington 870 with a Hastings slug barrel, when driving deer for my friends. I own the savage 10ml and use it for whacking does in the late season. I never have a buck tag after November 15 I harvest them with my bow every year.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Just to make things difficult, I'll give you a totally different opinion:

Why not use an autoloading shotgun? All the autoloaders help reduce recoil which can be significant with some of the newer flat-shooting slugs. An autoloader will also allow you to switch barrels so that it will also work well for turkey hunting or shooting migratory game birds.

I have a Remington 11-87 that has no problem keeping every (preferred) slug within 3" @ 100yds. Easily minute-of-whitetail. I've got 2 additional barrels for the 11-87 and have found it to be extremely versatile.

Just a thought while you're shopping around for ideas.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

thanks guys some really good input