Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Need a new slug gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need a new slug gun

Finally getting a chance to take my T/C SlugHunter out into the field.
Hopefully a Ks. Whitetail will come within range and let me use my Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40 BDC. Already checked out ballistics on the Spot On website for my Winchester Ammo. Pics on the way, hopefully!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

First whitetail with a slug gun

Finally harvest my first Kansas deer with a Thompson Center Slug Gun. 96 yards, using Nikon's SlugHunter 3-9 BDC scope. Sighted in for 50 yards, then I consulted Nikon's Spot On web site for distances of each circle on my BDC scope. Second circle, 1 shot and venison in the freezer.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...luggun2010.jpg
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM

For what it is worth, I hunt with 3 buddies and we all use 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug guns. Our group hunts NJ, Delaware, and Maryland every year. Last year we accounted for 13 deer. In Maryland we hunt a farm that has a number of fields bordered by woods. I usually set my treestand up in the corner of this one particular field where some fairly long shots are possible, consequently, I use a Nikon Rangefinder when hunting that field. Last season I took a small 8 point at a ranged 154 yds. The buck dropped where it stood. My Ultra Slug gun prefers 3 inch Federal Hydra Shok sabot slugs but of our group, no two Ultra Slug guns prefer the same sabot slugs. You just have to try them all to see which your gun prefers. You should also add a LimbSaver recoil pad to your gun as those 3 inch sabots do kick a bit.

All four of us switched to 3x9 Nikon Slughunter scopes before last season. What great optics. I love the BDS reticule and the clarity.

Good luck with whichever slug gun you choose. There are a number of good ones out there. Just don't get hung-up on the need for multiple shots because after the first shot, the deer is usually either down or gone!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

OldB, Thanks for the rely. I used T/C Encore with a rifled slug barrel and harvested a Ks. doe this year. 1 shot stop. I was not surprised what a wallop it delivers. I also used a Nikon RifleHunter 1000 rangefinder. For my shot that was under 100 yards it was a pretty easy with Nikon's SlugHunter 3-9x40 BDC 200 and a Winchester Sabot.
I am sure that now that I am sighted in I won't be taking that scope off anyinme soon.
I have let a few buddies blast away at the range and the worst shooter averaged about 4 in. at 100 yards, of course none of by buddies would shoot more then 3 shots!
I am very impressed with the T/C's accuracy and how easy the SlugHunter scope makes it to fully realize the potential of rifle and ammo.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...luggun2010.jpg