Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Muzzle Break?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Bronze Member

Muzzle Break?

Is it possible to put a muzzle break on a slug gun, or have the barrel ported? If porting is an option, would it hurt the over all performance, accuracy, velocity?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:28 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: Muzzle Break?

I am going to get an Ithaca Deerslayer III with a ported barrel. I talked to the company CEO at the SHOT Show. They have this gun shooting 4 inch groups at 200 yards. The porting does little to reduce recoil but does reduce muzzle jump since it is ported only on the top. The minimal recoil reduction is because a slug gun cartridge develops so little pressure. For this reason a brake will not be effective in reducing recoil.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeier1981 View Post
Is it possible to put a muzzle break on a slug gun, or have the barrel ported? If porting is an option, would it hurt the over all performance, accuracy, velocity?
I agree with Len that a break is ineffective and if you want to address recoil
and did not want to send it off for the porting you might want to look at the
Mercury Recoil Suppressors that you can install your self for $50.oo to $60.oo
dollars.

Brownells has them for your shotgun and they fit in the buttstock and work well.

They are normaly installed in dangerous game rifles with lots of recoil.

Just another option
J E CUSTOM
Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Bronze Member

I've never shot a slug gun, but both my skeet and trap shotguns are ported and they both have mercury recoil reducers in the buttstocks. Two of my hunting rifles also have muzzle brakes, and they both also have recoil reducers in the stocks. Accuracy and velocity is excellent in both of these rifles, and other than reduced muzzle jump, I didn't notice any other change in my shotguns after I had them ported.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 AM

Contact the folks at Angleport, Magnaport, or Seminole. I own shotguns worked over by each of them. I don't own a slug gun, but I would not hesitate to contact these folks about your problem. I recommend these three because I feel they would actually shoot you straight. All three have convinced me not to do additional work I wanted to do....which meant less money for them.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

I suspect that porting a shotgun would INCREASE recoil. If the ports are effective at keeping the muzzle from climbing then it is reasonable to expect the full recoil thrust to be directly rearward.

Just my thoughts - I'd be interested in opposing points of view.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Bronze Member

It's been many years since I had my trap and skeet guns ported, but I don't recall any increase in recoil. My O/U that I use for trap doubles and skeet is a Browning Citori that I had both barrels Pro ported which is Magnaport's version for shotguns. My trap gun is a Browning BT-99 that I had Angle ported. I like the feel of the Angle porting best.