Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

most accurate long range shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: most accurate long range shotgun.

Anyone have any luck reloading slugs. My thought is I could purchase cutting edge bullets like the .458 socom bullet and have them ground down to the 45 cal if necessary. If I could work up a load hotter than the factory accutips in shooting say 2100 or 2200 fps. Then if i could get the same accuracy I would be in. Problem is i have no experience in reloading slugs and dont know if this is possible or wishfull thinking.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

I have a 212 Savage slug gun with hits on steel at 633 yards, using Winchester supreme elites 3", and have thrown dirt on 750 yard targets, running out of scope and the 5 dollar slugs! My gun uses an EGW base with a Horus Hawk scope, Leopold rings and is very consistent! All this of course was for giggles not actually hunting but it proved a lot to me!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snox801 View Post
I would like to start a discussion about how we could mame the most accurate shotgun. Currently I am using an H&R and accutips after trying all others. I am looking for ideas or suggestions to make it better. My list so far is simple, I am having a crown cut were there is none. That is all I can come up with. The trigger job creates some new problems with the safety so thats out. Any thoughts.
Hi snox I use a H&R ultra slug and after using a custom bansner slug gun.its just about as good although it can't touch it as far as range goes but damn that heavy barrel with accu tips will print cloverleaf's at 150 yards all day and is pleasant to shoot. but I must warn you accu tips have a misfire problem.I have had it happen more than once and I'm not alone.i heard its a headspace issue with those certain slugs never had an problem with copper solids and just about as accurate.as far as a trigger job's go I've done my own their pretty easy to do and have had no issues with the transfer bar safety.but h&r triggers have a notorious travel through where you you need to squeeze the trigger all the way back after the hammer falls if you don't trigger job or no trigger job the transfer bar fall out of battery and no bang.so back to the question say yes to a trigger job,mount some good glass on it and glass bed the barrel,glass bed the scope base down,use a bipod,and as far as energy goes I've dropped a lot of deer past the 250 yard mark with this setup. Sincerely John
Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 PM

my savage 220 shoots 3 shot one hole groups all day long off a rest at 100 yards. We stand up clay pigeons on the ground at 200 to 207 yards and I have not missed one yet. Running a burris fullfield II 4.5-14 on it. planning to updrade to a leupold cds. I have 2 kahles multizeros and I like the using the elevation to change distance more than reticles.

picture of typ 100 yard group

I am a krylon fan, my savage with a decent 8 pointer from last season at 152 yards. Killed about 11 deer with it so far, longest was a doe at 165 yards, all measured with my leica 900.

better pic

Last edited by headhunter130; 03-07-2014 at 04:39 PM.