Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

most accurate long range shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Re: most accurate long range shotgun.

I own a few slug guns in both 12ga & 20ga, and I love the 20ga. Out of the ones I own two of them are mentioned on here, the Savage 220f, and the H&R Ultra Deluxe. Both are set up with the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, both using Remington AccuTip 3" the Savage groups better but not by much, the Savage gets the edge cause it handles like a rifle, great trigger, and lighter in weight. Also at 200 yds. the Savage takes the lead. I've taken my biggest buck with the H&R at 80 yds. neck shot, this was out in Illinois and all I had was a neck, dropped in it's tracks, two weeks later I was in my stand here in NJ and once more a neck shot at over 80 yds .

I would opt for the Savage 220f or if your a 12ga fan get the 212. Top either one off with a quality glass, and DNZ mounts

Here is my target at 100yds with my 220f, it's the group that is dead center on the solid orange line, ignore the other slug holes, also before/after pictures of my 220f I had this shotgun for a few years and had it hydro dipped this past spring
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
most accurate long range shotgun.-savage-220f.jpg   most accurate long range shotgun.-savage-220f-dipped1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

I own a Benelli M1 and use a True Glo "rifled choke", which is not a good idea for real accuracy. I get 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards from a bench with Federal slugs. Sabots do NOT work with this choke.

If I was forced to use a shotgun and slugs I'd buy a FULLY rifled barrel, likely a Benelli barrel, if they make one, given their high degree of quality. If not then I'd try for a Hastings.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: most accurate long range shotgun. A-Bolt

BUT... the Browning A-Bolt Shotgun with composite stock would be my choice if I was buying a competition slug gun. And yes, the Hornady SST rounds would be my 1st choice to try in this gun.

Mount a nice Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 1.75 - 5 X32 scope and you are in business.

This gun has it all including a great barrel.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Bronze Member

So, What custom work have you guys done to your Slug guns? Did crowning the barrel help? Any custom barrels longer than 24" Hastings had a 26" heavy but I don't like the rate of twist of them. It's better with the "old heavy and slow slugs".
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

So far I have come up with nothing. My H&R makes one hole with no work so after talking with many smiths that are on this site and emailing pics none could say for certain. Here is the problem I now have I can hit my steel plate 8 inch tall by 6 inch wide at 213 yards every time. I will be attempting farther next weekend. The problem i see now is the bullet is losing its killing power fast at that distance. So more accuracy will only waste my money until faster ammo is available. So that being said I am thinking of purchasing a reloader for slugs. I have a great slug in mind that if I could get the same accuracy with more fps I will continue my improvements like cutting a crown. I dont know what limitations in speed I will have but I think I could improve over factory accutips speed. Any thoughts on this.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like your at the end maybe it's time to get a muzzleloader and start working up loads. Does anyone have negative affects when you shoot a 2 3/4" slug out of a 3" barrel? Just thinking about the slug jumping into the lands. Or no differences?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark270 View Post
Sounds like your at the end maybe it's time to get a muzzleloader and start working up loads. Does anyone have negative affects when you shoot a 2 3/4" slug out of a 3" barrel? Just thinking about the slug jumping into the lands. Or no differences?
2-3/4" will have no ill effects cause the chamber size is up to 3" shells