Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

High Velocity Slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

High Velocity Slugs

I just ordered a Savage 220. I have been looking at 20 guage slugs and buying a few here and there so I don't break the bank. I got some accutips, Win Supreme bonded, and SST. I did see one that got my attention was the Rem High Velocity slugger. It says it goes 1800 fps pushing a half oz slug. It says its for a smooth bore but can be used in a rifled barrel. The price is so right at 5 bucks a box. Has anyone shot this slug in a Savage 220 or other 20 gauge rifled guns? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: High Velocity Slugs

I haven't used them but I think most would recommend not using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel if you are going for performance.

I have seen a lot of deer shot with shotguns and I strongly recommend the 3" partition gold if they shoot well in your gun. They hit hard, penetrate, put them down fast, and shoot as flat of a trajectory as anything else out there.

I don't like the way some of the shells on the market today perform at close range. Penetration has not been the best. In my opinion if the bullet loaded in the shell looks like it belongs in a handgun it probably wasn't designed for striking animals at 2000fps. I have had a few blow apart bad enough to stop using them.

I took a frontal shot on a large bodied buck at 30yards with Winchester xp3 ammo that never expanded at all. I recovered the bullet under the hide in a hind quarter.

I could not get the Federal Barnes expander to shoot well from my gun but would think terminal performance would be good.

I have shot a 300+lb black bear at 10 yards with the partition gold and it performed perfectly. I have also shot deer further away than most would consider ethical with them and they have always performed well.

Shotguns can be fussy about what ammo they like. Try a few types and see.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Re: High Velocity Slugs

I have never saw a rifled slug shot from a rifled barrel that would group. I have had very good luck with the accutip, remington core-lok, and the sst slugs through my h&r ultra slugger. I have only had 1 deer make it out of sight with both of the remington slugs, most are bang flops. The sabots cost more but are well worth it for what you gain.