Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

H&R Ultra Slug 20ga, which slugs to try?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

H&R Ultra Slug 20ga, which slugs to try?

Hey guys,

My friend has settled on getting an H&R Ultra Slug 20ga shotgun. Anybody out there using this as their deer shotgun? What slugs should he start with? Sometimes, figuring out which slug a shotgun likes, costs as much as the shotgun . So we thought we'd see what others have found with this shotgun. It is a 3" chamber and has a twist rate of 1-28".

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: H&R Ultra Slug 20ga, which slugs to try?

AJ,

Our group has a total of 6 of those guns in use, including my son. Lightfields shoot well in all of them. They ceertainly are not ballistically the best past 100 yards but hit like a hammer.

I just tried the new 2 3/4" Remington Accutips in my son's and they shoot awesome. I shot a 5 shot group right around 2 inches at 100 yards. A friend had similar results. Recoil seems noticeably milder than the Lightfields.

Enjoy!

Brian
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

I bought the same model for my nephew a few years and he has been shooting 2 3/4" Remminrton high velocity slugs. They group great and are not nearly as expensive as many others. Shots are kept under 100 yards for him.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

I would start with the Lightfields.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys,

We couldn't find the 20ga lightfields, but picked up some of the Remington Accutips.

We bore sighted the shotgun and the first shot at 50yds was about 1" from the bull.

After the shot, the scope went fuzzy (it was an old scope my friend had laying around).

So he went and picked up another scope and we'll see how it does later this week.

I'm pretty confident the Accutips will shoot well (I've seen some positive reports), and having the shotgun print within 1" of bull after bore sighting, certainly gives us confidence in the shotgun/slug combo.

I'll post later in the week with a full report.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

My wife shoots the same gun topped with a Leupold 2-7. We found that Federal hollow point sabots shot great, but they don't make them anymore. The "new" lighter slugs that replaced the ones that shoot great have a noticeable higher recoil and not nearly as accurate. We also tried the Lightfield and they shot ok but not great. Now that we live in SD, not IL, we haven't needed to find new slugs that shoot good. I have family that shoots the same gun, still back in IL, and they like the new 3" Remington Accu Tip Sabots. We plan on going back to IL for the gun season next year, we will try out the Rem next summer.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Got a chance to sight in my friends 20ga slug rifle. The 2 3/4" Remington Accutips shot very well. Shot it at 50yds and grouped around just under 1" (3 shots).

Just thought I'd follow up for anyone curious.

AJ