Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Best slugs for H&R?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Best slugs for H&R?

I recently found and bought an H&R slug gun in 20 gauge. I was wondering if anyone had this gun and what king of slugs shot the best out of it? I know I have to try a few out, but there's so many options I'd spend a small fortune to try them all so I'm trying to narrow my search. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Re: Best slugs for H&R?

I have one in 12 ga. and found it doesn't like Hornady SST's. The plastic sabot does not seal the barrel well and shows very little signs of contacting the rifling.

The best round I've tried so far is the Lightfield Hybrid Elite series slugs. When shot, the plastic sabot is forced outwards and seals against the rifling. an accurate and consistent round, it'll shoot a group resembling cloverleafs at 100 yds.

They shoot well from my ER Shaw barrelled Benelli SBE too.

There may be others that work, but I'll stick with the Lightfields for now.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Ya, I was looking at them the only problem is they are very hard to find. Just ordered some from Cabelas to try them out.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have sighted in two of the 20 ga. H&R for people and the Hornady SST slugs shot lights out in them. It was almost like shooting a rifle. The reason that I used the Hornady SST is because I have heard others say that they really shot well in their 20 ga.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Well, I finally found a load to shoot for me....to bad it was after the season lol

I tried 2 different Winchester slugs, Hornady SST's, and the Lightfields. The SST and Winchester's were 5-6 in groups @ 100....needless to say I wasn't impressed. The lightfields were around 3-3 1/2" groups which I was beginning to think was the best I could do. I took it hunting and said I wouldn't shoot at anything past 75-100 yards to make sure I get a good shot. I didn't see anything and so I put some oil on it and threw it back in the safe after the season ended. I finally found some 3" Remington accu-tips after reading an article on it. I went to the range and had a 2" group at 100 and I was really happy now. Mind you i hadn't deep cleaned the gun, so after the 3 shot group I cleaned it nice and good. Then I figured I had 2 shells left so I might as well finish sighting it in. So I made the corrections on the scope and sent another one down range and blasted the bulls eye, I was grinning now. I had one shell left in the box so I figured "why not" and send it down range. Center to center those last 2 rounds were 0.326" apart! I had the biggest smile on my face now so I cleaned it up really good and put it back in the safe and went to midway and ordered several more boxes for next year! I was beginning to think I had a lemon since everyone else that has the H&R shot awesome. I guess mine just doesn't like anything but the accu-tips! I love this gun now lol
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

I picked one up for my wife a few years ago while we were still in Illinois. Hers liked 3" Lightfields and 3" Federals that aren't made anymore. It shot the SST poorly, 6" group at 75 yds. Looks like we will try the Remingtons.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

I read somewhere it does better with the 3" ones since it is a 3" chamber. Don't know if that is true but mine shot the 3" ones so well I won't even try unless I'm forced too. Right now midway USA was only place I could find the 3" ones in stock.

BTW, semper fi! My first unit was 2nd CEB back in '98-01. I was a comm guy and floated with bravo co 2nd plt in 2000. I'm a gunny now stuck in Norfolk at a staff billet