Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Anyone shoot Hornady;s newest slug?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM

Anyone shoot Hornady;s newest slug?

Was wondering if anyone has had the oportunity to try out Hornady's new for 2014 Superformance sabot slug? or has anyone read or seen a lagit objective review some where I have not seen yet?

I am interested as Federal discontinued my most accurate slug the Fed/Barnes Tipped Expander and are looking for a replacement that is equal to it.

Thanks,
Arthur.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone shoot Hornady;s newest slug?

Have not tried them hard to imagine they could be better than the accutip. I will be trying them as soon as I can get some
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

I have just been on the Hornady website and there is no mention of a Superformance ML bullet. I did switch from Powerbelt bullets to the SST bullet with sabot.

For me there were 2 reasons:
1) The powerbelt bullets were just ridiculously expensive
2) The Hornady SST are just as accurate and have a better BC per weight than an equivalent full caliber bullet. This is important if you take any longer shots (any ML bullet has a heck of a trajectory as it is..)

Whether these are legal in some of the western states, I do not know (they have a long polymer tip which might be banned on a length vs caliber diameter rule basis).
Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I have just been on the Hornady website and there is no mention of a Superformance ML bullet. I did switch from Powerbelt bullets to the SST bullet with sabot.

For me there were 2 reasons:
1) The powerbelt bullets were just ridiculously expensive
2) The Hornady SST are just as accurate and have a better BC per weight than an equivalent full caliber bullet. This is important if you take any longer shots (any ML bullet has a heck of a trajectory as it is..)

Whether these are legal in some of the western states, I do not know (they have a long polymer tip which might be banned on a length vs caliber diameter rule basis).
The reason that you did not find anything on the Hornady website about a MUZZLE LOADING BULLET is because this is the LONG RANGE SHOTGUN THREAD NOT THE MUZZLE LOADING THREAD.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry about that... I got rid of my slug gun prior to last season. I see MSRP on those is $4/round. Ouch... I thought $3 was bad enough.... Close to the cost of shooting a BMG round.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTD338 View Post
Was wondering if anyone has had the oportunity to try out Hornady's new for 2014 Superformance sabot slug? or has anyone read or seen a lagit objective review some where I have not seen yet?

I am interested as Federal discontinued my most accurate slug the Fed/Barnes Tipped Expander and are looking for a replacement that is equal to it.

Thanks,
Arthur.
haven't seen it yet but you can bet that I will I have had very good luck with their sst slug from the past they shoot great I can't wait...