Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Re: Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

I have a Savage 220F which I bought in October 2010 and hunted in Ohio 2 seasons now. It ain't pretty, the bolt slides like you're trying to shove a corn cob up the tailpipe of a Yugo, and the stock is a POS.
But, once you get a Federal 3" Barnes tipped sabot slug into the chamber - look out Bambi! Accuracy on the range and in the field is amazing, and 200 yard shots are a real possibility.
Just don't figure on rapidly chambering another round for a second shot, but then you won't need to anyway. It may be only 20ga, but the Barnes Expanders will knock down a big buck just like a 12ga will, and probably better at longer ranges due to their better ballistic coefficient.
Just this week I was at Cabelas checking out the Browning 12ga A-bolt slug gun which is about twice the price of the Savage, it's very smooth and well balanced, and I'm thinking I would buy one in a minute if they developed a 20ga version that would equal the accuracy and range of the 220F.
So if anybody from Browning is reading this....
Old 06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosniborf View Post
I have a Savage 220F which I bought in October 2010 and hunted in Ohio 2 seasons now. It ain't pretty, the bolt slides like you're trying to shove a corn cob up the tailpipe of a Yugo, and the stock is a POS.
But, once you get a Federal 3" Barnes tipped sabot slug into the chamber - look out Bambi! Accuracy on the range and in the field is amazing, and 200 yard shots are a real possibility.
Just don't figure on rapidly chambering another round for a second shot, but then you won't need to anyway. It may be only 20ga, but the Barnes Expanders will knock down a big buck just like a 12ga will, and probably better at longer ranges due to their better ballistic coefficient.
Just this week I was at Cabelas checking out the Browning 12ga A-bolt slug gun which is about twice the price of the Savage, it's very smooth and well balanced, and I'm thinking I would buy one in a minute if they developed a 20ga version that would equal the accuracy and range of the 220F.
So if anybody from Browning is reading this....

I couldnt agree anymore with you! If browning would introduce a 20ga they would sell pretty well i would imagine.