Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

Might try an H&R ultra slug hunter. I bought mine on sale for $175 put a leupold on top and it's a tack driver! With Remington core lock ultras it will bust milk jugs 5 for 5 at 200 yards. also those buck hammers shoot reallllly good but they have no range , about 100 yds. But you should see what they do to a deer at 40 yds! If you need a second shot , it loads quick with it ejecting hulls. Just an option, an inexpensive slug gun, well built ( in america ) with money left over to spend on a great scope and lots of ammo. My brother has the same in a 20 ga. shoots as good as my 12. He prefers it over his savage bolt. hope this helps you some JK
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM

I was going to buy one this month but they are really behind or lagging behind in production on purpose. I called Browning today and they stated they were getting ready to ship 540 of the A-bolts out that were previously on backorder. They have an additional 90 that are currently on back order. Not good news if your're looking to pick one up for this falls hunt. I'm having second thoughts about buying one after reading the post about the accuracy here and on another message board. Below is what was posted on another message board:

I am new to this posting stuff but felt the need to post on this gun. I have hunted almost primarily with slug guns for 30 plus years and feel I know them well enough. 22 years in the Corps and I shoot well enough.
I wanted the A-bolt shotgun for years and when I saw they were coming back out I got mine on order. I picked mine up about a month ago....what a disappointment it has been. It is a beautiful gun! I cleaned her up real good, mounted a Leopold 3x9 sg/ml scope, boresighted, added a limbsaver recoil pad and was all set for the range.
I started with the recommended Winchester Partitons at 50 yards. I had 3 misfires, one failed extraction and the best group I could get was about 3.5 inches. I spoke with the Browning rep and he took the gun to the service center to have it checked out. The service center just called me after having the gun for a week and told me that they had removed and re-installed the scope, fired slugs from Federal, Remington, and Hornady. The best group they got from any of the slugs they tried was 3.5 to 4 inches at 50 yards. They informed me that they had spoke with the Browning Rep about their findings and was told " that is in Browning specs". Wow! I have smooth bore guns that will shoot better than that. I have'nt even attempted 100 yards yet. They are sending the gun back to me......not sure if I'll sell it or keep it as a boat paddle! I have one of the not-so-pretty Mossberg 220F's that will outshoot this one all day long. Not at all happy!!

It's probably too early to tell yet but I was surprised to hear that Browning thinks 3.5" groups at 50 is within specs. Maybe I will look at the Savage. I know it's not the quality of the Browning but It shoots better groups at 50 yards. The H & R is also very accurate from what I've read but man that thing is so heavy. I'm glad I picked one up before I almost bought one. It's pretty much for stand hunting only.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Steve 9035, do you still regret buying the A-Bolt after using the lead sled? Obviously, your accuracy would improve with a scope but do you think it would be on par with the 90's versions of the A-Bolt. I was all set to buy one this month but nobody has any in stock and they are way behind on production, I've only seen two reviews on this new A-bolt and they both have been disappointed with the accruracy.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Did Savage fix their issues (feeding & extracting, misfires) on the 220 Slug Gun?? I have heard that the rifle shoots well but had some issues??

Anyone else - all info is greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Yes, those issues have been fixed.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:39 PM

I just found an A-Bolt in black synthetic stock for $920 at a Gander Mountain about 50 miles from where I live. I placed it on lay-a-way with 20% down until I decide for sure if I want it. I believe they had about 10 in stock throughout their stores. Maybe if you are looking for one, they could do a store transfer. Hopefully, the accuracy is as good as the older 90's models. Reading the two other posts has me somewhat concerned.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 AM

First let me start by saying Iam a HUGE fan of Savage products, but I will add this. I have two boys both chomping at the bit to deer hunt. I also had just returned from the range and watched two guys in the stall next to mine shoot enough 1-1.25"100yrd 3-shot groups with their 220Fs to get me powerful interested in buying one or possably more. So with $1000 in pocket I went to my local BP as they had all three Savage slug guns on sale and in stock. Much to the remorse of the guy at the BP gun counter I spent the better part of a hour going over the 212F the 220F and the older 210F. I checked each for over all function and fit and finish.

In the end I did not buy any of them as I felt strongly if I am going to spend $500 the firearm must meet a certain level of quality. Only the older 210F did, and I do not need another 12ga slug gun as I have a A-Bolt, a Marlin 512, and a NEF 920. I was for the most part interested in the 220F as being a 20ga it offers much less recoil (at least that is what I have read) than any 12ga slug gun and recoil is a big issue with young begining hunters.
The fact I have read the 220F is suffereing from some QC issues has made me take a wait and see position for now.

Will see if my mind can be changed at this years sales. Already have scopes and mounts, all I need is something to put them on.