Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting

Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

I am seriously considering purchasing new slug gun & was wondering if anyone has shot the "new" A-Bolt slug gun??

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: Anyone buy/shoot the "new" Browning A-Bolt slug gun??

Anybody??
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Bronze Member

They have not become available yet (I've been checking). From what I've seen they are identical to the old (mid 90's) A-Bolt shotgun, which I have. I couldn't be happier with mine and I'm sure you will love the new one. I have sold several of the Savage bolt shotguns that work fine but the browning looks and functions much nicer. Since I'm in a shotgun only state it's one of my "keep no matter what" guns.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Thanks - I am going to order one, hopefully they become avaialable before this years hunting season!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM

I also have one of the first run A-Bolt slug guns. Mine is the walnut blued model with no sites. Shoots Federal Barnes Tiped Expanders and Winchester PT-Golds into 1.5" 100yrd groups with boring regularity. Fit and finish is excellent, triggger is easly adjustable.

Am also strongly considering buying one. Will have to see when they become available.
If you buy one you will not be disapointed.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 AM

I bought one of the new a bolts about a month ago from Gander Mountain ($1070 after taxes). The only difference, and I may be wrong, between this one and the one from the mid 90's is the twist rate. The new twist rate is 1 in 28 while the older olders ones were 1 in 32. When I took it too the range I shot it off hand with open sigths at 50 yards (I wanted to replicate hunting conditions I often encounter) and it was really no more accurate than any other rifled slug gun I have owned. I had problems with slugs that were 1800 fps or faster. Whether or not this is an issue with the gun or a flaw in the way I shoot has yet to be determined. I shot a 3 inch group with Remington Cooper Solids at my POA. I had a group of about 2 inches with Remington Accu-tips (much faster slug), however it was nowhere near my POA. When I go to the range next time, I will take my lead sled to see if I can get better results. Now, If I were to attach a scope and shoot it from a rest I am sure my groups would improve, but by how much? I had a scoped mossberg 835 that could shoot 3 inch groups all day at 100 yards from a bench rest. Even if the A Bolt could shoot MOA, is the extra $700 worth it? I can tell you this I have always wanted one of these a bolts since they came out in the mid 90's, however after a day at the range I will admit I had some buyers remorse.

I went back to the range and shot the a bolt off my lead sled and the cooper solids, accutips and sst's all produced one shot holes about the size of a half dollar at the POA. My offhand groups only slightly improved.

Last edited by steve9305; 09-04-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: range update
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Buy a Savage 220. Everyone that has one loves theirs and it is very very accurate. For 450 dollars I don't think I would buy a Browning. For the extra 500 you could put on a Ziess conquest 3x9 scope (399.00). Most love Rem Accutips in iether two and 3 quarter or 3 in. Good luck.