Spring Bear 2024

Beginners luck happened last Monday in Manitoba for me. Night 2. 8:00 pm. 300WM 180gr Barnes TTSX. 1shot.
500 pounds. 7ft square
image000000.jpeg

I hunted with a guide from Two Bear Outfitters in Hamilton MT for five days starting on May 20th, unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. The first day was moderate to brisk winds that were unstable and then days of rain and snow above 6,000 feet. There were two hunters in camp and we each had our own guide and the guides were very knowledgeable, professional, and worked very hard to put us on bears. Unfortunately, the bears were holding real tight due to the weather and it did not help that we were early for the rut and calving of both the cattle and elk so the bears stuck close to home given their food source was covered by snow. The two hunters the week before tagged out by second day, but they had decent weather. The few bears (1 assumed boar and a sow with two cubs) we saw were miles away viewed through the spotting scope and inaccessible.

The other guide was equally as qualified and really worked to put his hunter on bears and were also unsuccessful. Given I had 3 decades or so on the guides and hunter they were able to cover more and better ground than this beat-up senior citizen. Once I made my guide aware of my shortcomings as an elderly flatlander he gladly adapted his methods, like I said a professional guide.

The lodge was nice, comfortable and modern, nice comfortable beds and linens. The only thing the camp needed was an actual cook and/or a menu to follow as the food was horrendous. I thought I could eat anything after slogging all day through the mountains but that was not the case as the quality of the food was that bad, I went to bed hungry most nights not due to not enough food it just was bad. I talked directly with the outfitter about my experience, both good and bad. The outfitter was aware of the problem with the food but he was uncertain about how to deal with it. I recommended the outfitter present his cooks with a menu and recipes that they have to follow as they had no idea about how to please people at the table. I was not the only person who had issues with the food, that week or previous weeks given the comments of the outfitter.

I take a guided hunt every year and I have never complained about the food in the past. At past camps I have enjoyed the food because the cooks took pride in the offerings providing good tasting quality food that is a change from what I cook.

Given the quality of the guide staff I had a great time, what's not to love about spending five days in the Rockies looking for bears and seeing lots of other wonderful sights? Had there not been bars and cafes where we could get lunch I probably would have lost more than the 5 pounds I did. I guess the five pounds lost is one benefit of the cooking, I usually gain weight at camp from overeating.