best 300 win mag round for deer

Crunching the recoil numbers on an 11 pound 300 Winny without a brake using a 170-180 grain bullet @ around 3100 mv, with a compressed charge for maximum powder weight, which contributes to generated recoil.…… gives an approximate felt recoil of 27 fr/lbs. Or about 11.5 ft/lbs less felt recoil than my wife's hunting rifle.

Though being honest, she doesn't shoot hundreds of rounds per year though it…..so that must be factored in.

As far as spotting the bullet impacts……she can generally see the animal collapse! 🤔 Well maybe seeing impact is important on Prairie Dog misses! memtb

Last edited:
With all due respect, I don't build my rifle loads based on my friends. My properly braked 300wm allows me to spot hits. I could care less about what my friends think my rifle sounds like. Plug your ears or go find new friends. 😁😁😁😁. Friends, leave your purses at home when the rifles start to bark!
This made me think of a time I went shooting with a friend of mine and his buddy. They were shooting suppressed 6.5 creedmore's and I was shooting my, you guessed it, braked 300winmag. Launching 208 amax's at just a tad over 3,000 fps.

My friend wore plugs. His buddy elected to wear nothing. Every time I shot he'd complain about the noise but he never elected to wear any ear pro. If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

With all due respect, I don't build my rifle loads based on my friends. My properly braked 300wm allows me to spot hits. I could care less about what my friends think my rifle sounds like. Plug your ears or go find new friends. 😁😁😁😁. Friends, leave your purses at home when the rifles start to bark!
When you're hunting with a rifle braked to calm too much recoil, do you
hunt with earpro on?
hope you have time to put earpro on?
raw dog your ear drums?

Super simple. It's not rocket science. A set of these around your neck or on a hat. Takes 2 seconds. You can do it one handed while on the rifle. 👍👍👍
IMG_7737.jpeg

Super simple. It's not rocket science. A set of these around your neck or on a hat. Takes 2 seconds. You can do it one handed while on the rifle. 👍👍👍View attachment 573450

In timber…..game can disappear in well under 2 seconds. 🤔

If you're hunting in the timber, in our neck of the woods, with ear protection on, you may never hear that grizzly……that can make you disappear in 2 seconds! 😉 😂 memtb

When you're hunting with a rifle braked to calm too much recoil, do you
hunt with earpro on?
hope you have time to put earpro on?
raw dog your ear drums?
As a matter of fact I do. I do not do anything without ear pro. Anybody who tells you it's a pain to use it is full of ****. I had 80% loss in my left ear and 60% in my right at the age of 34. There's people who need to wear plugs and people who need to wear muff. My doctor told me I need to wear both or I'd be deaf by 40. I do not walk out my front door without ear plugs in my pocket. Big game hunting is a literally a piece of cake to put ear plugs in and people who say it's not, aren't trying hard enough. Waterfowl hunting is a different story. It's hard but I still use corded rubber plugs. Stick one in partially and the other gets popped in as birds are finishing. I have never in the last 15 years, EVER, missed an opportunity at an animal because of trying to protect my hearing. It's not that hard. If I can find the time to pull out plugs and put them in before I shoot anyone can plug their ears before theor buddy shoots. I literally do it every single year. Almost as easy as walking

If you're hunting in the timber, in our neck of the woods, with ear protection on, you may never hear that grizzly……that can make you disappear in 2 seconds! 😉 😂 memtb
Do it all the time! Not in griz country but I won't change my method of ear pro while hunting just cuz there's bears.

I think you have read too much. I live in the timber . Hunted it for 30 years plus. Been there done it . Still doing it. Might want to try a different angle.

I think you have read too much. I live in the timber . Hunted it for 30 years plus. Been there done it . Still doing it. Might want to try a different angle.

I've hunted timber all my life…..a lot more than 30 years! Some timber/brush as dense or denser that that of your area.

If you're a decent hunter, you can often get pretty close to game…..with neither of you knowing the other is there. Things can happen pretty quickly when visibility is in feet or just a few yards.

You're not the only one that has seen a tree! memtb

Recent Posts